Tenderstem broccoli

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vivienz
KG Regular

I just love this stuff and usually buy it each week, so it's definitely going on the 'to grow' list for next year.

Has anyone grown it, or is there any particular treatment for it that differs from the usual calabrese?

Another one for the 'to grow' list is romanesco - any advice on these also greatly appreciated.
Monika
KG Regular

We love the stuff, too, vivienz. I grew tenderstem broccoli Inspiration (from DT Brown) for the first time last year and was very impressed. It matures in late summer/autumn and we harvested it for several months, having cut the central 'crown' like in calabrese. It was very tasty and certainly truly 'tenderstem'.
This year's early plants are already seedlings and will be planted out soon in the sheltered garden (under netting to protect them from our rogue house sparrows) and the main crop is sown and will be planted into our more exposed allotment in late May/June.
vivienz
KG Regular

Thanks, Monika, good to know. There are many new varieties around since I was last on an allotment, so it's great to hear positive reports.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Yes, love the stuff! On its own, in pasta, quiche and I've been known to put it on a pizza!

We've grown it with success, and the more you pick, the more it grows! Unfortunately something loved it even more than me this year and the young plants were all devoured. They were under netting and I I had put some slug pellets around them. I can only think it was mice, which were a problem last year.

I haven't started me seedlings off yet, but will do over the next couple of weeks.

Pawty
vivienz
KG Regular

Excellent, thanks Pawty. Out of interest, when do you plant out your seedlings?
Geoff
KG Regular

Hi-jacked by another Broccoli - Citadel - tomorrow's dinner sorted! Had Red Russian side shoots today and they were delicious.

IMG_3822_R.jpg
IMG_3822_R.jpg (873.46 KiB) Viewed 7221 times
Last edited by Geoff on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivienz
KG Regular

Mmm - tasty!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi VivienZ,
I used to grow original Italian Calabrese and tenderstem is a superior for of this. With regards to the monstous tasteless plant the supermarkets sell as Calabrese it just shows what happens when the hybridisers get to work.
I do not seem to be alble to get the seed for Italian original calabrese any more but you would find it almost identical if you can.
It should be grown as you would grow Purple Spouting Boccoli which is my favourite of all the cabbage family.
On the other hand Romanesco has been decribed as heaven on a plate by some and by others as tasteless rubbish not worth growing.
With a delicate white sauce I have always thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a bit temperamental in it#s growing habit but well worth the effort
and again is grow as PSB.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic