Growing height

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Just made up raised bed 2ft wide x 14ft long to go near fence. Looking at using this for growing tomatoes, peas & cucumbers this year, maybe broad/runner beans next year.

I would like to add a frame with square mesh for plants to use for climbing up.

What would the maximum height I would need to accommodate all these plants?
Geoff
KG Regular

Well runners are as high as you can reach, are you going to stand on the bed or use steps on the path? I don't use raised beds but I guess runners aren't an ideal crop for them. Thinking about it tomatoes and cucumbers can be 6' as well, perhaps I should leave it to raised bed users.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

You say it's near a fence - how high is the fence? I have a similar raised bed ( bit smaller in width) which I use for tomatoes and cucumbers. Rather than build a frame, I have attached hanging basket brackets to the fence, then run a thick wire between them. I then attach string to the wire which I tie to the bottom of the plants, then wrap around the plants around the string as they grow . Bit like you often see in the large glass houses, just adapted to what I have.

Pawty
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks for your comments...

The fence is 6 ½ ft high and I intend to place the raised bed about 18 inches away from it so I can get around the back. The bed will not be walked on.

Originally I was thinking of around 4ft or at a push 5ft high, would this be ok for tomatoes, peas & cucumbers? If so I’ll ditch the idea of beans for next year.

I am hoping the veg will grow up the netting to give a green backdrop and plant companion plants & herbs in the front to give some colour.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Colin, 4ft would be ok for most plants, as long as you only get Pea varieties to suit that height. Outdoor Tomatoes are normally stopped at 3 to 4 trusses anyway, so they would be fine. Cucumbers will be fine. Even Runner beans can be pinched out at any height, but the shorter you pinch them, the bushier the plant will be.
I think i would be tempted to push the canes in either side of the raised bed, pulled together and tied at the top. You could even run a cane along the top and tie a couple of diagonal canes in and this will make a very strong structure.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic