Storing Seeds

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

jayjaybee
KG Regular

I am so impressed with the methodically minded people on this forum. Being untidy and slightly scatty, my seeds tend to end up in scattered boxes tubs and piles in the garden shed. At least for half the year they are chilled! My problem is more of what to do with seed potatoes and asparagus crowns that I have bought too early, indoors is a little too warm and the shed is too cold.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Apart from Parsnips that should always be new seed, I often buy seeds in the sale and don't have germination problems.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

I must admit always order my seeds, especially those of vegetables, from a seed merchant and then keep them in the dark in a very cool cupboard. And the only seeds which I might use the following year are tomatoes, chilli and sweet peppers, broad, dwarf and runner beans and peas, all the other leftovers I ditch or feed to the birds.
In garden centres the seeds are so often kept in the warm shop or even in full sunlight!
Colin2016
KG Regular

Spent today sowing seeds and find that most of the seeds are sealed in a kitchen foil type packet inside the paper jackect.

I was not aware of this as never opened a packet of seeds before, so thinking all this storing in the fridge over winter was a waste of effort.

There was a couple of freebee packets that did not use the foil packet inside principle.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic