Lawn will this work

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Hi,

My front garden lawn is full of clover and sinking in the middle, there is not a lot of dirt, seems to be mainly stones on top of a membrain. I suspect this was a stoned area which has been left to do it's own thing.

I am thinking of seeding it then covering it with some stone free dirt about 2 inchs thick.

I am sure the grass will grow (it has in the back garden) but will it stop the clover coming through?

Your thoughts please.
Geoff
KG Regular

You probably know really that there is only one way to tackle it.
Kill the lot with weedkiller - glyphosate.
Dig it over, removing the membrane if you find one, remove the worst of the stones.
Get it level and reasonably firm with your existing material.
Top dress it with the fresh material you are thinking of buying and again make sure it is evenly firmed.
Sow.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Hi Geoff, Thanks for the help, worried about using weedkiller as I have a dog.
dan3008
KG Regular

Colin, I'd recomend going to your local garden centre and asking about a pet friendly weed killer then. Most places will stock something I'd think, I've never had a dog so cant advise on whats safe and not...
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic