Courgettes - Should I be worried?

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff, much appreciated!
have a nice day/week
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
dan3008
KG Regular

Slightly off topic, but wanted to let you know the courgettes you sent me are doing really well. I planted 4 of each, and they are massive in my greenhouse... Going to plant them out next week
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

That's great to hear Dan3008! Thanks for the update!
Nature is simply amazing
Pawty
KG Regular

Typical - all the courgette seeds gave germinated over the last two days! They took sooooooo long.

Don't have time to re plant and harden off before I go away so work colleagues will be getting some gifts!

Oscar - enjoy that first courgette - pick it when it's still small and fry in a bit of butter - it'll be one of the best things you have this year.

In one month time you'll be posting .... 'So does anyone have good recipes for a glut of courgettes' :lol:

And then come October we'll all be missing them again.....
Westi
KG Regular

Reading this am thinking whether I might get a glut. I mentioned previously that my green courgettes didn't germinate only the yellow, so I sowed directly at lottie on Sunday, but then thought when I got home that last weekend I sowed a couple in pots at lottie, & re-sowed in the pots at home that failed too! Oops! I plead temporary amnesia!

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
Do you remember all those years back when we all tried to stop you growing too many Courgettes. You know when people crossed the road when you were approaching in case they went home with even more courgettes!
They were good years were'nt they and my goodness hasn't gardening changed since then.
Hope you are having a good season.
Sincerely,
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

Update! Of all the sowings I have done I have one more QLD Blue poking through, but the others seem to be perking up despite the dogs best efforts, but I don't have great hopes for them being stressed so badly. I had a poke around the soil but nothing, so I suspect birds or mice are taking the seed. With the greatest of optimism I sowed again directly, but no more potting up at home - will be patient & wait for my plants to be delivered. Even missed what they had at the lottie shop but did bag myself a melon for the greenhouse for 60p!

Primrose - if your passing! :)

Westi
Westi
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Hi there

No courgette glut yet but a few coming regularly. I am sure the glut will arrive when I go away for holiday in August... Never mind. Yesterday I sliced them in long slices, marinated them for a few hours in olive oil and lemon juice and then grilled on the bbq for a minute on each side. Delicious.

Question of the day. Do i need to cut these empty stalks down? And i am also wondering if i need to give the plant some support as it keeps on growing, though seems sturdy. Thoughts welcome!

courgettes.JPG
courgettes.JPG (538.43 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
Nature is simply amazing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic