After the bonfire

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

mugwort
KG Regular

Hello to you all :) I'm new to the forum and pretty new to veg and fruit growing so here goes with my first query (which feels quite fitting to be looking forward to a new season of growing). I have a patch of space (approximately 5 metres by 5 available to me to plant in this season. What is concerning me slightly is that this space has had several bonfires on it in recent past. It's a very rural area with an unreliable bin collection, so, as you can imagine, a mixture of domestic waste burnt on it (which looks to have included plastic bags as well as some plastic food trays and remains of some tin cans). I've removed the scraps of rubbish but am now wondering whether the soil is ok to plant in? Could the plastic especially leave any undesirable residue in the soil? If so, what should I do? The fires have certainly got rid of the weeds which I guess is a plus! :D Any guidance gratefully accepted. Thank you :D
Geoff
KG Regular

Welcome!

I would do what you have done and clear the surface remnants then just cultivate as normal. It is not ideal but I would think any residues at an unlikely worst will hamper growth but will not make the crops harmful.
mugwort
KG Regular

Thank you Geoff :)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I'm no expert on this subject so a fairly speculative answer on my part.

I guess the bigger danger was actually at the time of burning if plastic bags and bottles were involved. Both give off harmful airborne dioxins during the burning process.
Dioxins will pollute soil, air and water, the degree of that pollution is obviously down to volume of garbage burnt. In a relatively small area such as you mention I wonder if much burning took place.

If you are really concerned I would think it would be possible to have the soil tested.
Lateral thinking suggests to me that the environmental health department at your local council would be able to advise who could carry out tests.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
mugwort
KG Regular

Good points Pa Snip, thank you :)
Pawty
KG Regular

Testing, analysis and assessment could be very expensive - if you have concerns would you be better building some raised beds on the precautionary side?
dan3008
KG Regular

Personally, dig the soil over and water well. I mean really well, and let it drain. Most harmful things in the soul will probably wash away.
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pawty
KG Regular

If they're there already (and I say if) there are some things that won't wash away, such as heavy metals. If the sites exposed, the stuff that washes away easily would probably have gone already. As pa snip said, if your worried, maybe one for your environmental Heath team at the local authority?
mugwort
KG Regular

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I may well enquire about testing (and go ahead if it's affordable). In the meantime I'll finish removing debris and then leave the area to the elements (and watering) for a month or so. We're in quite an elevated and exposed location so the delay in planting would probably be a benefit. Thanks again
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic