perennial leeks

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

dan3008
KG Regular

While reading a gardening blog, I came across a reference to perennial leeks (http://slowlivingessentials.blogspot.co ... table.html) But cant find much more info on them anywhere... anyone heard of these before? or got any advice on perennial leeks (actually, dividing leeks rather than perennial it seems)

cheers

dan
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

dan
I think it only happens at a certain age

And on a serious note ... I do tend to wonder if some of these references to increasing numbers of 'perennial' varieties merely means letting them self seed. I can see how we would divide a clump of leeks that have seeded but not how you could possibly divide individual leeks, imagine the rot, mould and onion flies that would have a field day, has to be a no no.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

Having dome some more digging, the leek in question seems to be a Babington leek (or wild leek) which has a tendency to multiply like some spring onions do. Apparently Babington and 3cornerd leeks do this, where as the leek reaches maturity, new 'baby' leeks grow arround it from the roots.

So, I would seem I'm looking at a clumping leek, not a true perennial... That makes more sense

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Dan,
these leeks can be hard to get hold of so try growing Welsh onions instead (allium fistulosum I think). These grow in the same way as Chives but are much bigger like an overgrown spring onion.
Regards Sally Wright.
dan3008
KG Regular

I was looking at Welsh Onions (which arnt from wales at all lol) but I wanted both spring onions (or welsh unions) and leeks, because I use a lot of both in different situations... But yes, I've noticed that clumping leeks are hard to get hold of :( But i'll see, No rush, so I guess I'll just make do with the welsh onions for now

ps, yes it is allium fistulosum
wiki link

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic