Strawberry Sweetcorn?

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

dan3008
KG Regular

Hi guys, Today I got this months kitchen garden (I tend to just go to asda and buy it) and with it I got onion seeds and Strawberry Sweetcorn

Now, I know what to do with onion seed and the resulting crop. But Strawberry Sweetcorn?? I've never even heard of it before, and google has only turned up some people selling seeds, and a few sites telling me its good as popcorn... Anyone had any experiences with this unusual vegetable before? and more to the point, anyone know how it can be eaten other than popcorn (I dont really eat the stuff) ?
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pawty
KG Regular

I love growing unusual veg - looks interesting. All my sweetcorn was devoured by hungry rats this year over the space of two days.

At least you got something interesting with your magazine. When I read the email from kg and it said to look forward to your 'Mystery packet of seeds' I was excited... And was underwhelmed when a packet of lettuce seed turned up.....
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Paula, seems we are all getting something different with the kg magazine.... i got Bedfordshire Champion onion and Red Russian kale.

It does seem that you have been hard done by.... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pawty
KG Regular

Bin ends maybe.....
peter
KG Regular

Same as OH.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pawty
KG Regular

I did a check a couple of months ago - subscribers get different seeds to those you buy from a shop. I would say the ones subscribers get are not as good/interesting as the ones from shops (and when I did look not as many packs). You'd have thought they would be the same.... KG?
dan3008
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:I love growing unusual veg - looks interesting. All my sweetcorn was devoured by hungry rats this year over the space of two days.

That's unlucky :-( I'll be starting my seeds in the greenhouse to keep the mice out...
Pawty wrote:
At least you got something interesting with your magazine. When I read the email from kg and it said to look forward to your 'Mystery packet of seeds' I was excited... And was underwhelmed when a packet of lettuce seed turned up.....

Lettuce? That's the rough end of the deal... Want a few strawberry sweet corn? If you fancy trying it, I can split my pack and send you some. I've got more than I can grow before the use by date. Pm me if you're interested
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pawty
KG Regular

That's very nice of you Dan to offer - do you think the rats might be put off by a new variety! I can swap for lettuce seeds .......
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pawty wrote: I can swap for lettuce seeds .......

:lol: :lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

I got swede seeds with my onion seeds! Not complaining mind - been very fortunate this year with all the free seeds!

Westi
Westi
Penedesenca
KG Regular

I have had a lot of repeat seeds over the year and (sorry KG) but they aren't the most exciting. In regards to strawberry sweetcorn if you gurgle it as strawberry popcorn. I am yet to grow it, I have some seeds waiting to be sown for next year :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic