perennial vegetables/fruit

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

dan3008
KG Regular

Hi guys,

Long story short, following a knee injury, I'm re-planning my garden, so I can get the most out of it with minimal work (pain). So, I've got 2 raised beds 3'*3', and 5 ground level beds 4'*2'
To help reduce workload, I want to dedicate one raised bed and one ground level bed to perennial fruit/veg, and I'm looking fir some ideas.

Currently im thinking the following:
Bunching onions or walking onions
Asparagus (maybe)

Any other input would be appreciated :D

Thanks in advance
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
prt
KG Regular

Rhubarb is an essential in my view.
dan3008
KG Regular

How did I forget rhubarb? That'll go I my ground plot, albeit with a large pot cut apart to stop it spreading too far :)

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Westi
KG Regular

Don't forget the soft fruit, raspberries (red & yellow & summer & autumn fruiting) & strawberries are cool, although you do have to watch the raspberries & pull up unwanted spread, & do the same with the strawberries, cutting off the runners until you need to renew your crop about every 3 years. (New crop for free). Blackberries can be thugs & you can forage for free so leave them out!

A small patch for herbs maybe, but contain the mint & leave Russian tarragon out of the mix. These could even be incorporated into the flower borders I suppose.

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

If you like them (and they are an acquired taste), what about Jerusalem artichokes? They may die down every autumn but pop up every spring again and you can harvest them throughout winter.
dan3008
KG Regular

I should probably have mentioned i already have a strawberry and raspberry bed... And spend 1/2 my winter removing next doors blackberries from my garden...

I might grow some herbs in pots there... Good idea westi. I always put herbs in pots to keep them under control.is Russian tarragon particularly vicious at spreading then?

Monica, I've never tried Jerusalem artichokes, I may have to buy some, and see what I think :) thanks for the idea

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Dan

Given that your injury is the reason for your wanting to use raised beds I would suggest the criteria for what goes in them should be how much easier it makes picking a particular crop.

For instance dwarf French beans are so much easier to harvest from a raised bed, so perhaps planning should take account of potential crop height.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

Pa Snip - indeed, but I'm hoping my injury is only a temporary thing. My GP says that it should be back to full strength by next christmas :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic