peas

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

Hi all, could anybody recomend a variety of tall peas that are sweet when cooked this year I planted 2 types from the real seed company telephone and lord leicester, both grew tall around 8 feet but neither tasted nice they where more like cannonball peas that used to be in the advert
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Robo,
look for wrinkle seeded peas to eat fresh. Ambassador is the only one that I can think of at this time of night that grows that tall and has sweet peas. Most of the other tall varieties are grown for mushy peas and soups etc.
Regards Sally Wright.
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

Hi Robo, I've grown Duke of Albany for a few years now - someone gave me some seed and I've kept some back every year - they are a tall heritage variety, and I find them delicious, and manage to freeze quite a few each year too. Not sure where you might be able to get any, but I'd be happy to post you some if you like?
Adethespade
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Robinson from the Heritage Seed Library is my favourite tall pea. It crops over a long period and has lovely sweet peas that stay sweet longer than most if you don't pick them for a few days. They also keep their sweetness when frozen.
robo
KG Regular

Adethespade thank you for the kind offer, as my surname is robinson i might just try Plumpuddings sugestion or might try a few of all 3
thank you for the heads up
AdeTheSpade
KG Regular

Dear Robo, I did wonder whether you were a Robinson - (that's my name too, and my stepson is known as Wobo (but he doesn't do gardening!)).

Anyway, glad you've found what sounds like a lovely one to try - I'll remember that one myself I think should I ever find myself without any saved seed. :)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Amongst the types we grow I have to admit to swearing by Alderman (aka Telephone) for a few years now. A good old fashioned tall pea variety (about 6ft)

This year we had a 20ft double run of them. Agreed they can become like bullets if left too long before picking but we don't give them the chance to do that and enjoy lovely tasting peas. Already placed the order for 2015 season.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Penedesenca
KG Regular

Hi, I grow quite a few peas most of which don't get as far as the freezer. For a nice, sweet tall variety I would recommend collosal climbing from victorianna nurseries.
Emmamaltas
KG Regular

AdeTheSpade wrote:Hi Robo, I've grown Duke of Albany for a few years now - someone gave me some seed and I've kept some back every year - they are a tall heritage variety, and I find them delicious, and manage to freeze quite a few each year too. Not sure where you might be able to get any, but I'd be happy to post you some if you like?
Adethespade

Hay has anyone got any duke of albany seeds still?
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum Emmamaltas! I grow both tall & smaller varieties but never grown Duke of Albany, nor heard of it. Maybe search some heritage seed sites?

I grow general readily available seeds - the secret is watering with peas so build a barrier/trench around them to contain the moisture & check regularly to harvest at the right time - it's a skill that develops! I find the pods just dull a little, but on a sunny day you can see through the pods which makes it so easier to decide.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic