help with cauliflower and brussle sprouts

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tansam
KG Regular

Can anybody advise how I get seedlings (2 leaves) to the next stage.as they keep dying. I have tried individual pots,modules and trays. Thanks
Monika
KG Regular

Hello, tansam, welcome to the forum.

It sounds as if you are either keeping your seedlings too wet (they don't need much watering until they are really growing away) or they are "damping off", that is, being attacked by a soil-borne fungus. The latter can be avoided by using sterilised soil and keeping all your seeding equipment scrupulously clean.

There is still time to sow again, so I would have another go, probably in individual small pots or roottrainers, so, if you lose one or two, they are not all lost! Good luck.
tansam
KG Regular

Thanks probably guilty of over watering..should I water in the tray rather than top? also could it be the summer house is too warm once they are at this stage?
Monika
KG Regular

I would water in the tray, let them soak it up and then leave the tray to drain and not water again until they are almost dry. And, yes, the summer house is probably too warm. Even young brassicas should be outside by now (unless you still get frost), but keep them protected with netting or similar to stop birds from pulling them up!
tansam
KG Regular

Big thank you -will try again!
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

You might do well to sow your seeds the old fashioned way, in a short row in a seedbed outdoors. When the plants are large enough, dig them up and transplant them to their final places. They will wilt for a few days, but will grow away strongly in time. Caulis and Brussels sprouts — any of the Brassicas — are hardy and do not welcome being cosseted. In particular, if they're grown too warmly, they'll complain.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic