pakchoi

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

Hi all, we have been trying to grow packchoi this year for the first time ever, we have had a bit of success in as much as we have lots of healthy young plants but we have a lot flowering and what seems to be going to seed is this normal and are they still edible when they have gone to seed
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Robo

I eat all of my plants, including flowers! They don't like it too hot & always bolt but as all edible it doesn't really matter. My best successes have been end of season & overwintered!

Westi
Westi
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Sown in spring, pak choi will bolt in response to lengthening days. Sowings made after mid-summer day do not bolt. I find late summer sowings do best, in late August / September. You need to give it lots of water for a quality crop.
Allotment, but little achieved.
alan refail
KG Regular

A couple of links to older posts.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3794

viewtopic.php?t=2880
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Ditto to everything already said, and I also eat the flowers with everything else. Late summer sowings into autumn stand for longer, but they grow so quickly that you can keep sowing them quite late. They can stand a bit of cold weather too late in the season.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'm having the same problem with tatsoi, I like tatsoi but right now it wants to bolt. It grew nice-and-steady during winter.

I'm learning.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

All the Chinese greens bolt Richard - the red mustard, the mooli etc. I love pak choi as well but won't be doing any serious sowing until later in the year!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic