Raised beds

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elen
KG Regular

Im not sure if 3 years gardening is still a beginner ?!! We made our raised beds 3 years ago and they need topping up now. I found a supplier of top soil and can get some very well rotted horse manure to mix in.
Im not sure when is the best time to do this job. Now/winter or wait till spring. There are qite a few plants that will need lifting out I guess. Any advice welcome :D
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hi Elen,

I'd do the job now where possible, give the mix time to settle and the worms to get to work. If you've still got crops in some of them I'd work around them or leave until they are cleared.

MW
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, I'd certainly do it now or at least over the winter to give everything time to settle in and start working its magic. You'll probably find yourself busy with other things once spring arrives, and although you may have to move a few plants, winter is the best time to do that.
Elen
KG Regular

Thank you Primrose and MW for your advice. I will get on to it next week then !!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I don't know if this will help, I quickly and suitably consolidated my raised bed earth by using short lengths of board and standing them then moving them about. This spreads the load and reduces the point-loading that you get by walking on it.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Elen
KG Regular

Thanx for your advice Richard. Sorry for delay saying so too, I havnt been on here for months.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic