Khol Rabi

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Weed
KG Regular

Several years ago I grew some Khol Rabi, a purple variety called Azure Star and very nice they were too.
I remember taking the first one home quite proud of it as it was visually perfect....I became instantly deflated when my Governor asked me what she should do with it!
Needless to say I persevered and they are now a firm favourite, we both agree that they are very moreish.
I don't know of any plot holder on our site who grows this underated vegetable
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Wicky
KG Regular

What did you do with the Khol Rabi?
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

It's popular in Germany. I have enjoyed eating it there, raw with unfeasible quantities of quark. What is it with Germans and their quark? Kohl rabi, though: they're onto something there. Underrated? Yes, most definitely. But when I've grown it, the quality has been inconsistent, mostly leaning towards poor.
Allotment, but little achieved.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

I'm growing it :D Azure is the variety (no Star on the end though).

We tend to grate it onto salads or use it as a substitute for cabbage in coleslaw. I'm told steaming is good but we have yet to find a 'cooked' recipe that doesn't completely destroy the flavour .... but then we haven't steamed any yet :D.

VPM
x
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I grew it during my first season, it was trouble free but did get blown around because the plants were tall with a skinny root shaft that tended to easily bend-over and break. First thing I thought of when I included it in a salad was broccoli stalk.

Mine easily went woody in the ground and soft out of the ground so most of my crop was thrown away to compost because I didn't pay attention to storage advise.

Maybe next year.

Sorry to be negative, but, it's a nice addition in the salad plot, you need to eat it quickly when it's a golfball.

I often snacked on them and they do make nice salads if you can do fine slicing. Fennel and Khol Rabi sliced on a mandolin and treated as a base for slaw was very nice though for a lone herbivore I need to grow stuff that keeps.

I'm growing fennel again this year, most of that will go to the compost heap.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

I just grate it and use it more as a raw vegetable. Looked at a few recipes & tried a gratin but while OK it can't beat raw - it is refreshing in a salad! And love the quirkiness of it growing on the plot - someone always comments!

Westi
Westi
Weed
KG Regular

You can grate it in a salad or as we do slice into wafer thin slices, it goes very well with sweet peppers.
It can also be included in a stir fry.
I have had an exceptionally good crop this year and to harvest at the golf ball/tennis ball size is about right.
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Monika
KG Regular

I have grown kohlrabi for many years (having grown up with it!) and find it very useful because I make a lot of soups and casseroles. I rarely use it raw though I usually sneak a few bites as I am preparing it. But I find it more versatile than white turnips and the taste not as dominant in a recipe . I also use the central small leaves, both cooked and raw.

This year I have grown the variety 'Violetta' for the first time. They have grown well, without blemish and seem to keep completely tender even when larger than a cricket ball.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic