Brussels sprouts

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

diggers11
KG Regular

This is my first growing year and i am growing sprouts but the plants seemed to be leaning over. Is it OK to stake them so they are upright.
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

I have staked my sprouts for the past couple of years, together with my other taller growing brassicas such as broccoli and cauliflowers. In fact, I have just been doing that job this morning. I find that not only does it hold them upright, but helps to keep them that way during the inevitable windy weather. Another benefit is that being upright, rather than laying over at all angles, it is easier to hoe around them. Beware when tying them to your supports to keep the ties fairly loose, and to regularly check the ties and replace if necessary during the season, as the stems can grow to an amazing thickness; otherwise the ties will cut into the stems. Good luck with the growing.
Geoff
KG Regular

I always tie them to slate batten stakes because the wind makes them spin round and crack the stem. Like Fred I tie them loosely at the early stage with soft brown string that either rots or is weak enough for them to break when the trunks eventually get well over an inch. Higher up I tie them in with binder twine as the strength is needed for full grown plants.
diggers11
KG Regular

thank you
Geoff
KG Regular

Like this
Attachments
IMG_2922_RR.jpg
IMG_2922_RR.jpg (234.39 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic