Wild Blackberry Plants - any good in garden environment?

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Hayley
KG Regular

I've recently purchased 3 blackberry bushes, the first from home bargains, the second from Morrisons and the third from a car boot sale. The first two are showing no sign of life, one looks like a twig and the other looks like a plant killed by frost.

After planting the third blackberry plant i realised i have been cutting 2 'wild' blackberry stems down in 2 seperate places in the back garden which keep re-appearing. Would these ever grow decent blackberries without taking over the garden?
peter
KG Regular

Blackberries are very variable, so, there's only one way to find out.

Let them fruit. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Hayley
KG Regular

Thanks Peter, is there any way to restrain / train them so they look tidy as there in the middle of my borders!
peter
KG Regular

Root new ones by burying a still attatched shoot near its tip with the tip sticking out of the soil. That can be planted where you wish next year and the original either dug out or weed killed.

If you want to check the fruits then you can't restrain them much.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

To get fruit off of blackberries, you need to let them rampage somewhat: they are extensive. Also, the previous year's growth give next year's berries, so if you cut the whole lot down to the ground each year, to keep them in bounds, you won't get fruit. And actually, you won't keep them in bounds by cutting them down anyway — they nearly always grow back more vigorously. Better to dig out the ones in your borders. If you're not sure if they're good fruiters, it's not worth the time and space to find out, in my view. I also think it's better to plant thornless varieties, which are bountiful and don't bite.
As far as training them in concerned, the new growths, which originate from the base of the plant, are preserved at the end of the year, tied into a support usually in a snaking pattern to accommodate their length. The canes which have fruited are removed entirely, from the base. I find it depressing how few seem to grasp this basic procedure on my local allotments where you see a whole tangle of "trained" blackberries, neatly tied in, producing few fruits among a mass of dead wood.
But me, I browse neighbouring hedgerows for my brambles.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Hayley
KG Regular

Thank you both for the great advice :)
John
KG Regular

Hello Hayley
I have a cultivated BB called 'Chester'. Its an excellent thornless variety with strong growing canes. The fruits are medium size but juicy and sweet - they are nice eaten raw.
I have now dug up my other thornless BB 'Lochness' because the fruits though large were always watery and tasteless. It was also prone to mildew.

If you are thinking of a wild BB my suggestion is that in the Autumn you wander the hedgerows looking out for a really good plant. Wild plants vary enormously so you will have to look hard to find a good specimen. Good specimes are often found near old gardens where a cultivated variety has escaped and cross bred with a wild plant. Once you have found your plant then it is fairly easy to find a rooted runner which you can rescue.
Good Luck - you may discover a promising new variety!
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Hayley
KG Regular

Hi John thanks for the tip, by total chance i have purchased a 'chester' blackberry from morrisons :) It was already growing in its little pot when i brought it so i'm halfway there :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic