New from Notts

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Hayley
KG Regular

Hello my name is Hayley and i'm an addict.

A few weeks ago i planted 2 sunflowers from my pet food. My partner and i both selected a seed and planted them into little pots in the kitchen window to see whos could grow the fastest and tallest (some people never grow up). Mine is now about 1.5ft tall while he is on his 4th seed!

This seemed to set me off and i soon found myself digging out an old 4 tier 'blow away' greenhouse out of the shed and clearing out a couple of pots for a few plants.

I visited my local Aldi and purchased a pack of cucumber and Gardeners Delight tomato seeds and a Blackberry, Gooseberry and Raspberry plant from Home Bargains.

Soon after I found myself in the Garden Centre at Morrisons resulting in tomato plug plants, another blackberry and another raspberry plant.

I thought i had my addiction under control after that until i went to B&Q and they were selling off vegetable plants. Yep you've guessed it i came home with cabbage, broad beans and lettuce.

The next stage is to look at somewhere to plant out my plants and seedlings. The fruit bushes are in square planters, some have failed but the gooseberry and one of the raspberry seems to be growing. I have purchased a second 4 shelf greenhouse so the toms & cucumbers have a home so now i just need some space for the veg.

90% of my garden is concrete so i'm quite limited. I have a small bit of rough ground at the bottom of my garden approx 6ft x 8ft so i'm planning to use this along with a few pots.

I think i may struggle with the soil quaility but i'm hoping to purchase / build a compost heap. I'd also like 2 or 3 chickens both for eggs and composting material but unfortunately the other half has put his foot firmly down on that one. I do however have a small bird aviary and he has agreed to let me have some of the larger breed of quail so that seems a fair comprimise.

Now to make another cuppa and go for another walk to the bottom of the garden for another planning session.

Look forward to chatting with you all soon :)
peter
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum Hayley.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Hayley,

Welcome :) you are not alone once the gardening bug gets you there is no escape :lol:

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
retropants
KG Regular

welcome Hayley! it sound like you got bitten good and proper!

best of luck with everything, you might like to add a bag or two of composted manure (available in garden centres) to your bit of rough ground for nourishment and stucture.
Hayley
KG Regular

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. I had hoped to clear the 'site' today but the rain has soon put a stop to that. I've been reading through the posts and decided i need/want a compost heap so here we are.......

The only problem is i'm unsure how to start it off? I have plenty of nettles and cardboard but i'm unsure what needs to go first and what ratio the waste needs to be in.
Attachments
compost bin 2.jpg
compost bin 2.jpg (322.96 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
compost bin.jpg
compost bin.jpg (282.86 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum Haley. Am sure your addiction will get worse rather than better the moment you pick your first tomato and cucumber ! :lol: Keep us all updated on progress. :
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Welcome Hayley, looking at your photo's I don't see a concrete garden, i see a nice base for lots and lots of tubs and containers, maybe even a nice deep raised bed or two ........ :D

Happy growing
VPM
x
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome from me also! Enjoy your growing and post your pics & messages would be lovely to see your progress!

Westi
Westi
Hayley
KG Regular

Thanks to a sweetie of a other half i now have my very own little 'plot'. I've been working 10 hour shifts the last few days so he's been working on a little surprise for me......
Attachments
garden path.jpg
garden path.jpg (301.3 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
garden beds.jpg
garden beds.jpg (337.84 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
Westi
KG Regular

Lucky you - help in the garden! If that happened in our home I'd be in intensive care! :D :D

Westi
Westi
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Oh how wonderful :D Happy gardening.

VPM
x
retropants
KG Regular

how wonderful! that's such a lovely thing to do for you! :)
Hayley
KG Regular

Well the empty space didn't last long. I've planted out my cabbage, lettuce and broad beans along with onion sets and 2 garlic cloves. Not expecting the best crop with it being waste land a few weeks ago but the compost bin is on the go so things can only get better.
Westi
KG Regular

Optimism is what we survive on Hayley! Plants can only live or die at the end of the day! Don't angst - just do it different next year if no success this year. Oh & ask on here for other ideas as well - loads of folks have 'been there done that'!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic