Cucamelons & Electric Daisies

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

I have some cucumelons growing very nicely - thought I'd try something new this year. Anyone grown these before? The blurb says they are easier than cucumbers.

Also have about 40 electric daisies....they should be interesting.

James Wong -my new guru :D
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I first grew these some years ago, just the once. This season's "in thing". They are easy to germinate, but slow to make progress in low temperatures. I couldn't eat a whole one.
Allotment, but little achieved.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Diane

I grew Electric Daisies (ugh! horrible trendy name!) some years ago under its older name Pará cress. Easy to grow when the season warms up; rather an acquired taste, to be eaten sparingly (leaves that is) in mixed salads.

It is Acmella oleracea formerly Silanthes oleracea. Read up here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acmella_oleracea
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:I grew Electric Daisies (ugh! horrible trendy name!)

I see that Cape Gooseberries are now called Inca Berries, all part of Wong's "way cool" Homegrown Revolution. I'm not readily hoodwinked by Wong, but he seems to be opening up a new world to many. I have tried much of what he grows, as I say, just the once.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Westi
KG Regular

I've looked at his stuff & all seem to need some TLC as well as luck so not sure they are all the best choice for beginners.

I always try something new each year (no chokos yet), but giving my red stem celery another go as it stood so well in the awful winter with just a little environmesh over it & not even trying to flower yet but thickening up. Bit stringy to have raw & pointless peeling the red off but good flavour base for soups & stews! (Better still the slimey critters don't seem to be attracted!)

Westi
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Update - electric daisies looking wonderful, pretty yellow pom pom flowers. I've grown them in large terracotta pots - looking very elegant. Have also managed to freeze the faces of most folk I know by giving them a leaf and a flower - saying "Just have a taste of this - what do you think?" Not all of them spat it out! (most did). Oh, how we laughed. :roll:

Teeny tiny melon shaped things are now appearing on the cucamelons in the greenhouse. They have been very busy climbing up the trellis I put in for them and have now set off to explore amongst the tomatoes and thrusting their tendrils out of the window. Got to give them 10 out of 10 for effort.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic