Beetroot

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

I'd like to grow some beetroot - which is the best variety to sow now, in a raised bed. And when will it be ready to eat?

Thank you.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I think you have missed the boat. Tis a bit late, you can give "Boltardy" a bash in a corner of your greenhouse. . . . Cheers, Tony.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Diane

I put in some beetroot today and usually do around now - mostly hoping for an Indian Summer but despite this rarely occurring I do get a crop of
baby beets from this. We have several months before the first frost down here and I cover them with a cloche before this comes.

I put in some golden ones but they don't stand as well as the red. The reds were a free packet from a magazine so probably the cheapest and most common seed available. We could compare notes but I think I'm a little further south than you and right on the coast so stays a bit warmer
here than even a few miles away.

Just try it and see - might have a pleasant surprise.

Westi
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Brilliant - I'll give it a go then. Thank you Westi. I'm in Wimborne, so not too far away from the sea. In fact, on Thursday, after all that rain, it looked like the tide had really come in as far as Wimborne even!
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Funnily despite this mild weather my late sown ones are not much bigger than in a real winter, but anticipating with the rain as well, they should be well tender & nice! Going down on Boxing Day to harvest some of them & Mooli, salad leaf, rocket, pea shoots & what ever else is avail to make a great big soft & crunchy salad for the family catch up the next day.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic