Update needed perhaps.

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Whilst having difficulty accessing the forum last night and early this morning I ventured onto the main KG web site.

There I found a statement that seems ambitious and certainly does not actually happen as far as I am aware.

The statement reads:-
The Kitchen Garden Forum is a fun, thriving community of people like you. Each week we highlight a thread for further discussion.

Perhaps 'each week' is the ambitious bit. Surely monthly might prove more practical. Or removal of statement even more practical.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Maybe it's a plan for the future
Pa Snip
KG Regular

robo wrote:Maybe it's a plan for the future

As I think I am correct in saying the statement has been there for some considerable time I hope all will forgive the cynic in me.

Observation on my part
A few months back quite a few 'plans for the future' were suggested as being in the pipeline, including more input from KG staff and expert contributors.
I don't think anyone would disagree that the suggestions were welcome but being realistic such suggestions are unlikely to come to fruition simply because the Forum usage currently, in my personal opinion, would not justify the cost of the time involved by those people.

The forum is a small, dare I say, poorly used part of the KG set up.

The forum needs more new blood input to sustain its lifeline. We see new names join and then zilch in the way of input.

There are allegedly over 3,000 members of the forum, admittedly this includes everyone who has joined since day one probably, but regular users can probably take a good stab at naming those who are likely to participate and reply on a regular basis. You could count the number of regular forum contributors on hands & toes.

There has been determined effort with 'The Last Word' page in the magazine. We cannot deny that the forum has received more of a push in recent months.

We are all trying, the forum has some good friendly contributors. The photographic input is most enjoyable.

Let not the forum slip into obscurity through lack of new bloods progressive input because of statements being made but not carried out in practice.

A prediction on my part, unless numbers of contributors improve I venture to suggest the plug will be pulled on grounds of cost. That would be a shame and I hope the day never comes.

The snag with this post ............................................ it's preaching to the converted.
Last edited by Pa Snip on Fri May 05, 2017 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

The strange thing is there are always others on a topic just looking, so I expect they gain something from the posts we make. I don't know why they don't join in & post but guess that they are happy enough just looking for specific information already discussed & not happy to wait for someone to reply. Also we have so many different takes from our growing experience, some in conflict with general advice, so that could also be a reason maybe?

Maybe KG could ask in the magazine - what do other people want from the forum? What would entice them to post? What topics / headings would they find helpful? Our basic forum set up is good, works well & easy to use, easy to post pictures, so it is not at that level there is a problem. Put it out there KG, let's see what current non contributors say about why they don't join in!
Westi
John
KG Regular

Well I'm all alone here now nobody else is online - not even those nice web crawler chaps that are usually about.

I've been here for many years and like some others was here in previous incarnations of the KG forum. It hasn't really ever changed very much in terms of member numbers. Some stay on and have formed the backbone of forum others are like butterflies - they suddenly appear, flit around furiously for a few weeks posting everywhere then disappear. Some join then just lurk. The only little problem I can remember was with a certain anchoress from Ireland a good few years ago. Its a nice friendly place to be and a great source of gardening knowledge. I feel at home here and among some very enthusiastic and experienced fellow veg growers.
DW belongs to a number of book and hot topic forums and they can be very unpleasant places. Some of the contributors are downright rude and nasty people.
As long as we keep politics and religion out it long may forum continue. Thanks to KG for hosting it.

John

Memo to self : must try to post more often.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Pa Snip
KG Regular

John wrote:Well I'm all alone here now nobody else is online - not even those nice web crawler chaps that are usually about.

A frequent occurrence I find John. quite intimidating when they outnumber human company.

BTW, do like your avatar. Is it GWSR ?

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I like this forum because there is a good range of expertise and exchange of questions and knowledge, and everyone is helpful and friendly.

I stopped using a well known American forum as some people turned almost every posting into an argument and turned really nasty and insulting. They should have been barred as it ruined all the good info they had.

I can understand visitors to our forum just having a look and not saying anything. There's lots of information on most things if they follow the links. I used to lurk on Facebook to see what my son was doing when he was abroad☺but I rarely posted anything.
retropants
KG Regular

I only follow and contribute to 2 forums, this and a soapmaking one. Both are small, polite (mainly!!) and friendly. I should post more often, but there's only so many hours in the day, and I am one of those shy types who can't imagine anyone being interested in anything I've got to say!! But having said that, I really do try :)
robo
KG Regular

Plum pudding I lurk on face book to see what my granddaughters are up too but one has blocked me as I told her I was not happy with one thing she posted
Pa Snip
KG Regular

My post is not in any way aimed at, or a reflection upon, anyone who may post greater or less than others. Any level of applicable input on even a infrequent basis is better than none
The post does make reference to the input but that is meant to relate to numbers who join but then silently disappear into the ether. but that was not what really prompted me to post.

The point that prompted me to post was the statement on the KG website, which is quoted in blue on the first part of the thread.
The Kitchen Garden Forum is a fun, thriving community of people like you. Each week we highlight a thread for further discussion.

The other matter I alluded to was the post some time back, I think before Christmas, that I think was made by Steve Ott that strongly implied that there were plans for the forum. Were those plans solely centred around 'The Last Word' page of the magazine

Perhaps the statement in question about weekly threads dates back to the long distant past when the forum was first introduced and is now outmoded since all the topics are potentially daily.

I've only been here a short while (couple of years) and I have never seen a 'weekly highlighted topic'

Do any other imminent 'plans for the forums' exist ?

Any thoughts Admin ?

Westi
KG Regular

Phew robo!
The cardinal sin of FB, monitoring your families posts! Tut, Tut! I rarely comment on the families posts, but do cringe occasionally (read regularly), at what my niece posts but save those conversations for face to face!

Evening Pa!
Totally get your point, not quite to Trades description indeed, but my previous post stands. I am happy to post my stupidity & ask obvious questions, but let's face it others will feel shy especially if the same folk seem to have a monopoly. There has been masses of improvement on the site, the whole set up is better, easier & more modern. KG just needs to change weekly to monthly to rectify that wee error you spotted & I hope they may ask the readers/not posters to see what they think as we obviously don't know the why? Whatever though it would be good to see more joining us regularly but busy lives etc.
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi I did question her face to face but I did not comment on Facebook I very rarely do
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's a good idea Westi, maybe KG could do a little one of slot in the magazine, to see what new members would like from the forum. And get the feedback put into the magazine too.
If nothing else, it should get new faces looking on the forum.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

robo! I can almost bet she didn't & wouldn't ever post what my niece posts. I can't put it on here but will pm to tell you of her most extra-ordinary job, which expects factual responses.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I don,t know whether it's possible for the IT people to email all members of the forum to remind them of its presence and let them know that we're still here and would welcome their input. Possibly many of them have forgotten about it and might welcome a chance to revive their involvement. There will also be a fair number who have changed their email address over the years and be uncontactwble.

I don,t belong to a Facebook so can't claim to be a lurker on there but when you belong to a forum, read the posts but never say anything it does really seem rather like a guest has been invited to a dinner party but sits there all evening without opening their mouth. Surely even the most inexperienced grower can have experiences, good or bad, which other members would enjoy sharing with them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic