Sugar Ann Mangetout

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

I was prompted to post this as Marshalls have this variety as new in their 2009 catalogue. I grew it this year as a change from Sugar Bon. Big mistake. I sowed half a row of Sugar Ann and half a row of Hurst Green Shaft peas. The latter did marvellously well, but Sugar Ann suffered badly from yellows, but, worst than that, the few pods that formed were barely an inch long and then swelled up. My wife tended to shell them and use the few peas (typically 2 - 4). I gave it a second chance later on in a different place and it didn't do any better.

Either the selection I had was a poor one, or it simply isn't worth growing. Anyone else grown it?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Sugar Ann is a small pea and is better eaten as a mangetout/sugar snap as the pods are very sweet and fleshy. They don't stay flat like mangetout.

They do only produce a small crop though, I think they are mainly for people with not much space and there are better, more productive varieties.
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Talking about peas, does anyone grow Show Perfection, and what has been your experience growing it?

I know it grows to about 5/6 feet tall and is supposed to taste sweeter than normal varieties.
Is it worth the bother, what with the extra height,and the trouble making sure it does not get blown over in the wind?
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I did assume that it was a mangetout and that was the way we originally ate it. But in no way could it be described as sweet, even eaten raw. And at one inch long and so few pods it really has been pretty useless. Back to Sugar Bon next year. Really sweet - eat it raw - and so prolific.
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Back to Sugar Bon next year. Really sweet - eat it raw - and so prolific.[/quote]

Try Oregon Sugar POD,I have found them better than plain old Mangetout!!!!
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
John
KG Regular

Hello Colin
That's an interesting point. Seed companies are very fond of describing varieties as 'NEW' or 'NEW introduction'. I was often taken in by this thinking that here was a new or improved variety - something worth trying. It dawned on me after many years that they are all somewhat economical with the truth. All it simply means is that it wasn't in last years catalogue! Its been around for years and they're telling you that its available from us again this year.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Yes John. New in a catalogue MAY mean it really is a new variety, but it often means new to their catalogue. When Painted Lady started to come back in fashion a few years ago after receiving excellent flavour reports, quite a few catalogues were showing it as new.

And yes - Oregon Sugar Pod is good, but Sugar Bon is even sweeter.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi John,
Some years back I saw Scarlet Emperor as NEW and that dates back, with Painted Lady, to the 1890's.
I cannot remember who's catalogue it was.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic