High yielding tomato variety

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

As I grow a fair proportion of my tomatoes for processing for the freezer in purree, next year I'd like to grow a really high yielding variety. Can anybody recommend one that has a high yield as well as having a good flavour. I currently grow old favourites such as Moneymaker and Alicante but wonder if there's a more modern variety which might provide a higher yield.
John
KG Regular

Hello Primrose
I hesitate to suggest a variety for taste and yield. If you are interested in good yield have you thought of growing bush-type toms. If you have room they can be grown like strawberries in a bed of straw. No staking, tying in or pinching out is needed as you simply let them ramble all over the place and produce masses of fruit in a good year. I think the straw helps ripening too.

John

PS If you do try this, remember to put slug pellets under the straw.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
I grow Amish Paste and Cornu des Andes for processing. The Amish Paste is higher yielding than the other, but the Cornu des Andes has the best flavour. They are both very fleshy with few seeds, so produce a better sauce, etc, than the usual salad types but there are probably higher yielding varieties out there.
Granny
KG Regular

I've grown Jersey Devil from plants of Distinction for 3 years now. They're very dense and heavy with a good flavour. I've also dried them and kept them in olive oil, 'sunblush' style.
---------------
Granny
Colin Miles
KG Regular

As a matter of interest, how were your Moneymakers this year? I grew one plant in the greenhouse out of interest as I had a free packet. Tremendous yield, but suffered from greenback and the taste was, well, sort of tomatoey, but otherwise bland in the extreme. The wife actively disliked it and refused to eat them. Fortunately, enough Gardeners Delight and Tropical Ruby to keep her happy.
Primrose
KG Regular

The Moneymakers I've grown this year have been OK in terms of yield but it may be my imagination that they don't seem to have had quite the same amount of flavour as previous years. They're grown against a south facing fence and have had as much sunshine as there has been available, but I'm afraid with this dismal summer, that has been rather inadequate. I also grow Gardeners Delight and that tends to be my benchmark for a tomato with good flavour, and despite the lack of sunshine, their flavour seems to be as good as ever. If I could find a larger size tomato for purreeing and preserving that had the same flavour as G.D. I would be a happy tomato grower.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Primrose, try these from Seeds of Italy.
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/26
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic