Carrot Nandor

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

Another packet purchased late as I had spare space and we eat a lot of carrots. The foliage is quite delicate and short and until I pulled up a few accidentally I thought they hadn't developed - no tops showing. But they were all a good 3 - 4 inches and so smooth that even cook - who normally peels all carrots - gave them a mere scraping. And the flavour is superb. I bought another packet of seed a couple of days ago.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
The read-up on Nandor F1 seems quite good. A Nantes type that can be used as a second early, main crop and overwintering. Carrots said to be 2.5 to 4cm Dia
and 15-18cn long. I may even try a few. I grow far too many Carrots for me already but a small row just to see what the taste is. Once again I do not use F1 hybrids normally and stick to Nantes 2 and Autumn King 2 Pelleted seed. To buy F1 Pelleted seeds the quantity is too many at 10000 pellets as knowing me I would grow the lot!
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

How about telling the forum who sells Nandor?
I did a quick search, Unwins for sure, also Marshalls and Nicky's.
Allan
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Sorry Alan. Thought about it as soon as I had posted. Both Nandor and Purple Queen were Unwins, purchased in a local garden centre. Johnboy, the Unwins packet said quick maturing so I assumed that it was an early, but as you say, other descriptions indicate it is more than that. I have 3 x 8ft rows and if they continue as good as the first pickings I might buy another packet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic