TD To the letter, or lack of

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allan
KG Regular

"Technical Data
If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!"

I note that this is the terms of reference by Mr PH for this section. What better example could there be than a commercial seedsman such as Moles Seeds, varietal name quantity of seed and packing year only.
Last edited by Allan on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Allan,
There are a couple of factors that should be said in favour of Moles seeds.
1. Moles are a Commercial Seed House and for them to go to the trouble of printing involved labels for their customers who would ignore their instructions at best. These seeds are for professional people.
2. The planting details are printed very clearly in their catalogue and it would mean a duplication of printing for people who do not need them.
I rather feel that you have picked on a poor example and would suggest to you that Marshals with enough seed for a 25ft row is a better example because they do not give any planting distances. So how many seeds do you actually get?
For a good catalogue I feel that D T Brown are probably the one with the most information. They also put the details on their seed packets.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

Johnboy, you are reading into my example far more than I intended. Did you think I was labelling Moles as a "naughty boy" for not giving it? There is nothing wrong with the way it is being done by Moles for their usual customers and I am in no way complaining, at least they are consistent. It is easy to find the information, either in catalogues, books or packets bought elsewhere.You will never please everybody. In the case of Moles, their connection with D T Brown still shows so if you have saved old packets You can build up a library. I also have a file where I keep such information and is evolving to suit my own requirements. I cannot fault the Allotment seed list (King's)for giving seed count on everything, worth getting a copy if you have an allotment. hint, the King's retail list cost twice the price of those on the NSALG list but it costs me an extra £15 to get it.
Perhaps more interesting is what will put life into this section of the forum which it must be admitted has not really taken off. I leave that for others to decide.
Regarding individual seed houses, it is up to them but I don't find the Unwins method of quoting a row length at all helpful, if I know the number of seeds I can work out what row length I get, with my increasing use of individual seeds in modules I get far greater row length than they quote.The same would apply to Marshall's but I don't order from them any more. I tried to stop their catalogues with a letter but they still come, as do the third copy of D T Brown's, so bad for the environment.
This brings me to the point re. this ggroup topic Technical Information, Do we expect to end up with a sort of ready to use information chart, similar to the two recently printed in KG, or is it going to be a debating chamber as indeed this posting and another seem to indicate. Let others anwer that one.

Allan
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I do agree that this part of the forum has not ‘really taken off’ and I find that rather disappointing. I am hoping for contributions from experienced growers like Johnboy, Allan and others. I do appreciate the contributions from Allan in hoping to ignite this rather stale part of the forum. However I can’t say more as I am mindful of the bold warning from PH in that we must not be conversational on this section otherwise it really will be ‘taken off’.

Barney
Alison
KG Regular

I am looking forward to this section turning out to be really useful, but I feel that the beginning of the season is likely to be a slow time, since probably no-one has anything to report for this year as yet!
I am hoping that others will use it to say how they have found their crops turning out as the season progresses.
Alison.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Allan,
I am afraid I had misconstrued your letter completely! I really thought you were putting Moles in the naughty boy's category so most of my posting regarding Moles is null and void.
However I do not use Marshalls either namely because of there lack of information and I see this so many feet row length as a way of circumnavigating the truth so that you have no idea how many seeds you are buying for your money. I do not use Unwins ever and I believe that there is a tie-up between these two companies. As previously stated I feel DT Brown give as much information needed. I must confess that I haven't bought anything from a Home Garden Catalogue for many years.
But the people we should be trying to assist is those very new to gardening.
Hi Barney,
Whereas conversation should be kept to a minimum I feel that when a conclusion is reached with a good airing across the board all the superfluous letters should be edited out by Mr PH and by doing this the whole section would build up into a definitive work hopefully. The thing is who draws up the final conclusion!! (Dear god there is always a sting in the tail!!)
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

JB, Glad to get that sorted out. I suggest you edit your previous postings in the new light.
Re. who owns what I understand that Marsalls and Johnsons , maybe Unwins too are part of Fothergills. Dobies and Suttons come under Ferndale Lodge.Subject to correction.
Can we prevail on Mr PH to have some sort of seperation of chat or discussion from the factual stuff, otherwise there is nothing to stop us posting seperately.If the dog won't bark we will have to do the barking ourselves
Enough of all that.If I have any more to say on all this I will post in Best Practice e.g. "Re.Technical Topic XXX. See how it goes.
Allan
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I tend to favour Johnboy’s suggestion to have the superfluous letters filtered out at the conclusion in order to build up a library of helpful information. It may prove too complicated to have dialogue in one forum about threads in this forum. I do not believe gardening to be an exact science (although some may disagree) and it will be inevitable to have several options of good practice. These alternatives would be kept and readers may choose either or all options.

Barney
Mr Potato Head

Sorry guys, this conversation really is more suited to the general chatter (or perhaps best practice?) section. Let me know which you'd prefer and i'll move it.

Please try to stick to the spirit of the section. i.e. Creating / Improving the data about a specific variety. If you're not sure what I mean, read the 'Read me first' post.

I know it's slow growing, but like plenty in life, it'll be worth waiting for once it takes root. :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic