Are Chocolate Cherry tomatoes f1 hybrids?

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've been trying to find out whether this variety, Chocolate Cherry, is open pollinated or an f1. None of the seed companies have listed it with an f1 next to the name, but a lot of them seem to have stopped listing this on all their seeds.

Also it looks very much like the variety Black Cherry and I wonder if these are the same, if so it is an heirloom variety and will come true to type if I save seeds for next year. I'm going to save some anyway as it is productive and a good flavour so it will be interesting to see what I get.

Does anyone know anything about this variety?
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi PP

Chocolate Cherry is definitely open pollinated and self-pollinating. You can confidently save seeds from it. I had it from Ben at real seeds and he doesn't do F1. It's been called (by my grandson-in-law) the best tomato he's ever tasted.

Ninth variety down the page.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/tomatoes_vines.html
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks Alan, I hadn't looked for tomatoes on the Real Seeds website but I usually put in an order with them for other things.
I can't remember where I got the seeds, were they one of our free gifts with the magazine.

I went on an excellent seed saving course they ran a few years ago before they moved to their present home.

Do you think it is the same as the Black cherry variety, I wondered if they had given it a more appealing name and called it a new variety for commercial reasons.
Frankd013
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Thanks Alan, I hadn't looked for tomatoes on the Real Seeds website but I usually put in an order with them for other things.
I can't remember where I got the seeds, were they one of our free gifts with the magazine.

I went on an excellent seed saving course they ran a few years ago before they comparateur assurance chien moved to their present home.

Do you think it is the same as the Black cherry variety, I wondered if they had given it a more appealing name and called it a new variety for commercial reasons.

Nothing on the pack to explain so I assumed maybe bred on to be hardier & stand longer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic