Shallots

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I've never grown these before and have been given some Jermor sets to try this year. I was under the impression that shallots were quite small like this, ie rather like pickling onions, but have just seen some very long (up to 3") specimens on a vegetable market stall. Are these a different variety or just very large ordinary shallots? Can anybody give me some information about them please? I know there are Dutch and French shallots and wonder if this is part of the answer.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

I love shallots - they look so great on the plot as they split and grow. I only grow the French ones as I use them mostly for cooking not pickling and can't be bothered messing with the little round ones! Jermor is a French long shallot and is great for cooking - enjoy - I hope you think they look great as well!

Westi
Westi
solway cropper
KG Regular

Same as Westi, I prefer the long ones and use them raw in sandwiches or in cooking. There are plenty of onion varieties that you can use for pickling....just sow them quite thickly and harvest before they get too big.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The long shallots like Jermor are lovely and sweet when you cook them, but don't keep as well as the round types. I usually grow some of both and use the long ones up first. Saying that, they usually last long enough to have a few to plant up in January for your next crop if you remember to keep some. I've usually got enough of the round ones left in good condition to last until the onions are ready for picking.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:..have just seen some very long (up to 3") specimens on a vegetable market stall. Are these a different variety or just very large ordinary shallots?

There seem to be quite a lot of Banana shallots on sale nowadays. Certainly Tescos have had them & I also see them in a local greengrocers.

In the past I've grown both Jeremor and Longor. With the latter, I have had a few go soft - however many have lasted from last year and I've just planted the remainder out for this year's crop.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in growing Banana shallots, Real Seeds are selling a variety - see here. I have just sown some. We had a forum member called Piglet a year or so ago who used to share banana shallot seeds he'd saved, but this is the first time I've come across them commercially (but am sure there will be other places selling them).
Geoff
KG Regular

We are growing long Shallots (Enchalion) from seed again this year, Cuisse de Poulet du Poitou from Simpsons - did well last year, still using them. Will sow them in early February.
glallotments
KG Regular

Our shallot sets have just arrived so we'll be planting them in pots in the greenhouse to get them going - this worked well last year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic