Holiday imminent! Will the little ones survive?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

garden_serf
KG Regular

The trip is now imminent. Off to the French Alps tomorrow for 10 days.
Problem - Travel and going away does not mix well with growing things.

I am still moving things around into the best locations to survive without me attending to them for 10 days. Most things have gone outside into covered cool areas.

I am about to plant the Broad Beans in the raised bed outside (covered by a frame and fleece). They are looking healthy and have been outside in the cool mini greenhouse now for 4 days & nights.

I am just hoping that we do not get any very low temperatures while I am away. My friend who would normally pop in and check things for me is attending to her sick father 200 miles away.

Fingers are crossed.

What tricks do you use if you have to leave your young plants unattended?
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
peter
KG Regular

There I was thinking it would be "Are we there yet?" and it's actually, "No we need to turn round now, I left the bottom ventilator open half an inch and that weather forecast on the radio just said there's a 20% chance of frost."

Don't tend to go away at the propagating time of year, but I would advise for some automatic watering provision.

There is a trick with a full sink and some capilliary matting up onto the draining board for those without heated greenhouses. Similar method in greenhouses.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
AnneThomas
KG Regular

We have a regular 7 - 10 day holiday at the end of February so I don't tend to start things off until I get back. It's one sure fired way of preventing me from starting too early :!: I do have a few seedlings of turnip, pak choi, mizuna etc sown late autumn which are in my plastic greenhouse. I will probably give them to my friend to put in her plastic greenhouse - she is even newer to gardening than me so I know she doesn't have anything started. I did think about transplanting the turnips out into the plot under a cold frame - but I am taking heed of the advice given here not to plant out until seedlings have filled the modules. :)

I collected my seed potatoes on Thursday so will put them out to chit whilst I am away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic