Solar Panels on a Greenhouse

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

George Gray
KG Regular

Has anyone ever tried using solar panels as a source of electricity for a greenhouse?
George the Pigman
richard p
KG Regular

no, but ive seen solar powered ventilation fans, what were you intending using the power for?
George Gray
KG Regular

The idea was to get some electricity so I could run some heated propagators. Currently it is unheated and has no electricity supply. To take a supply from the house would involve a major dig up of a mature garden.
George the Pigman
richard p
KG Regular

if you're planning on using existing mains voltage propagators you would need panels to charge a 12volt battery and an inverter to produce 240 volts ac from the battery. size of panels and battery would depend on how many propagators you plan to use.
i do wonder whether its cost effective , i now only use a small propagator in the consevatory to start the first batch of tomatoes , then peppers , followed by cuecumber, melons and pumpkin. as soon as shoots are showing they are moved onto the conservatory window sil.
i find if i start too much too early i get inundated with pots of plants ready for planting out when its still too chilly for them.
Muso
KG Regular

If it's any consolation George, I have power to my greenhouse and heated propagators but prefer to germinate seeds in the house on windowsills or airing cupboard. I use seed trays with clear plastic covers and get good results for most things, when the seedlings are reasonably developed they go into the unheated greenhouse and an eye is kept on the weather forecast. As richard p said, it's not beneficial to start things too early as the risk of cold spells and low light levels cause problems.
George Gray
KG Regular

That's interesting. The way things are at the moment with the weather I can't see me putting anything in the greenhouse until April!
George the Pigman
Primrose
KG Regular

I often lament the lack of a proper greenhouse but from what I've read on this site it seems that a lot of people, even when they have one, seem to germinate a lot of their seeds on window sills indoors where temperatures seem to be more reliable. I wonder how on earth one would stop plants in a greenhouse frizzling to death in a greenhouse in a summer heatwave if you had solar panels installed. I believe there are one or two "self sufficiency" type websites which show you how to make Heath Robinson solar panels. which might be an inexpensive way of getting some greenhouse heating if you were handy with DIY.
Muso
KG Regular

The greenhouse is very useful for growing seedlings on after germination Primrose, cooler conditions and good overhead light result in sturdier, healthier plants. I did manage for some time without one but the plants were always a bit leggy and sappy but with careful hardening off as they developed, they get stronger, a cold frame can help with this. If you have the space and can afford it, a greenhouse gives a lot more scope to your gardening :D .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic