electricity in the greenhouse - essential?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Lottie Lou
KG Regular

Hi
I have been reading this forum and seen the thread about heaters and comments about electric ones being good.

My greenhouse is being delivered in a months time (I can't blinkin' wait!!!!!) but first I am having the pation built and then the base buit so if I need electricity, now is the time to get it under the patio (if that is what you do)

So my question is - is it essential? what about being able to mist the whole greehnouse or hose it down (yeah right - am in a hose pipe ban area!!) but thinking about the safety aspects.

Also (thinking on hoof here) do you usually have water piped up to the green house? My greenhouse will be about 100 feet from back door/tap so not far but I suppose I could have a hose heed under the patio in some sort of conduit and have it pop up and the greenhouse - is it worth it???

I am SOOOOO looking forward to this greenhouse, I have dreamt about it and saved my pennies for years (yes years!!!) becuase I wanted a Gabriel Ash cedar one - and that is what I am getting :D :D

Anything else to consider while the patio is being dug up?
Just as I am getting used to today, along comes tommorrow!
Chantal
KG Regular

I have a plug socket in my greenhouse and I couldn't be without it. The socket is above the door and has a flap over it which seals it off when not in use. If you don't do this now it'll be a much more difficult job, and much less neat, in the future.

It's not only electric heating that you can use but also the propagators which are invaluable. Just make sure a qualified electrician installs it for you. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good evening my wealthy Lottie Lou, or maybe not so wealthy if you have just bought a Gabriel Ash greenhouse.
I really am quite jealous as i have had a look at one in the flesh, so to speak, and they really are well built. What size have you bought :?:
If i was you Lottie Lou, i would definately have both water and electric in your very exspensive greenhouse. :wink: You must get an electrician to complete the work though, the misting or spraying water won't be a problem as they will use waterproof sockets.
You could always get who ever is doing your patio and greenhouse base to put in a ducting with a draw line up it, this could run from your house and make sure they put it through your greenhouse base. You can then at least put your water and electric in, as and when you want.
It may seem a lot of expense now but believe me you will regret it if you don't do it at this stage.
I'm starting to sound as if i'm back in the building game again. :wink:
As for any other things to consider under the patio, any relations you don't particulary like. :shock: :wink:
Hope this helps you a little.

Kind regards a slightly jealous Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Lottie Lou
KG Regular

I am glad you approve of our choice of greenhouse :) It is a small one - 8 by 6 as that is all we have the space for

Thanks for the replies about the power supply - I have not thought about propagators although it is pretty obvious really :roll:

I will definatley put some power in and maybe a bit of water too if I can get the builder to do it for a reasonable price
Just as I am getting used to today, along comes tommorrow!
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I echo all the comments about power in the greenhouse, I have it and use it for heating, lighting and ventilation in the summer.

Water is also a must but it is much cheaper to do. I have no tap on the greenhouse but have fed water to the house using drip irrigation kit. From a tap by the back door this is run to the house, about 100 feet away. I have a watering computer attached to the tap that controls the watering. The 6mm black pipe has been hidden behind shrubs and the like so you cannot see it.

Once in the greenhouse I then use a selection of drippers/sprinklers/misters to water individual pots, trays and feed water reservoirs that then water pots standing on capillary matting. I also have a couple of drippers filling a watering can so I always have water on tap so to speak.

This is my first season with automated watering and I can honestly say it is fantastic. Watering the greenhouse used to take a fair bit of time and this year I have not had to do anything in their. Also went away on holiday for 2 weeks and came back to perfectly healthy plants laden with fruit.

Have a word with these guys:

http://www.gardensystems.co.uk/

They are cheaper than hozelock stuff you see in garden centres and they were very helpful indeed in sorting out my numerous questions!

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic