Raised bed

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

In Homebase the other day I spotted a Birdies Raised Bed, made of metal sections, nominally 5ft x 18* x 15"high, but can be assembled in several different shapes. It was only £10 so I couldn't resist it - but I have no idea what to use it for or where to put it! Has anyone else used one of these? Any bright ideas would be welcome!
Westi
KG Regular

Blimey never heard of it, but what a bargain ! Maybe a herb bed, not too deep so limited - salad leaves as well spring to mind.
Westi
JohnN
KG Regular

Here's the finished job - I've raised it even higher on tanalised planks on beer crates and screwed some strips along each side to prevent the compost pushing the sides out at the base. When my wife came to inspect my handiwork she stared at it and said in a suspicious voice "That looks as though it could be used as …oh, well, never mind - but I'll make the tea in future!" :evil:
P1010133.JPG
P1010133.JPG (867.68 KiB) Viewed 11341 times
jeff64
KG Regular

They are not new JohnN, we used to have one hung on the wall in the back yard back in the 40s
JohnN
KG Regular

So did we, Jeff, but ours had a bottom to it! The hot water was heated up on a kitchen coal range and we bathed by the light of oil lamps.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

JohnN wrote:So did we, Jeff, but ours had a bottom to it! The hot water was heated up on a kitchen coal range and we bathed by the light of oil lamps.

WOW !!! you could afford oil for lamps, rich family :D !!!!

I had to have a tin bath by the light, by the light, by the light, of the silvery moon.

I looked for these 'raised' beds as soon as they appeared on Homebase clearance webpage. According to the stock list our local branch had plenty, except when I made the special journey to our local branch they didn't have any

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I wish we had a bath that big you could get all the family in that all together the dog as well
JohnN
KG Regular

Pa Snip - Perhaps your Homebase made the same mistake as mine did at first. When I enquired where they were they sent me outside where all the outdoors stuff is, including other "raised beds". In fact the Birdies ones were in flat packs inside the store and hidden under a bench!
peter
KG Regular

This evening my Homebase has rectangular metal raised bed 7'6"×3'×18" for £25 flat pack, no screws needed, Australian make.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

What an elegant compost bin ! It would match my fence ! Actually I thought it would make an excellent bathtub for Pa on his allotment after he,s finished shovelling all that manure. Self draining too !

I would think you could grow most vegetables in that. It looks deep enough for root vegetables but would also make a nice environment for decorative shrubs like acers.
peter
KG Regular

The ones I found were in the discount area, which is pretty much as far away from the garden bit as you can get.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Diane
KG Regular

Interesting project - I'd grow herbs - or a mix of succulents as a feature.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic