A view of my garden

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Update on the greenhouse:-
The earliebird has almost all been eaten, just the F1 swift to eat now.
Eaten most of it.jpg
Eaten most of it.jpg (418.37 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

The Cayenne have been a great success, my son in law cooked us a curry with a couple last night after visiting the Botanic gardens in Glasgow. The trip was to see the Jurassic Dinosaurs with the grandkids, will have a go at looking at the gardens another time.
Not so overgrown now.jpg
Not so overgrown now.jpg (455.58 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

The tomatoes have been a great success too, though my wife prefers the smaller tumbling toms and supersweet100 to the moneymaker and ailsa craig.
View from the door.jpg
View from the door.jpg (417.49 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

This has me baffled, tommies with freckles, the gardeners delight and one of the tumbling toms seem worse afflicted, any ideas?
Tomatoes with freckles.jpg
Tomatoes with freckles.jpg (286.98 KiB) Viewed 3923 times

Finally the melons Rugosa di Cosenza giallo, the packet says harvest august to mid October, so maybe I might get 1.
Rugosa di Cosenza giallo.jpg
Rugosa di Cosenza giallo.jpg (535.29 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
Primrose
KG Regular

My tumbling red tomatoes didn,t have freckles like your sis this year but many of them seemed to have a ageipey sort of skin. No idea what could have caused these variations. Have they by chance had splashes of water accidentally sprayed on them by a watering can which could have heated up by the sun ?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I don't think it's water as the tumbling toms are in hanging baskets high up, nothing has been sprayed in there at all.
robo
KG Regular

Most of the marks seem to be on the top of the tomatoes just like a bald head when it's been in the sun to long ,I would go for scorching
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Could be Robo, only shading in the greenhouse is from the sweetcorn, which did cover the whole side of it until last week when I started munching them.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Are the strawberries your late ones Tiger, Mara du bois ? My red flowered ones are producing well at the moment and look lovely. They are Toscana and they taste nice too when they've had a bit of sun.
Attachments
20170912_105353.jpg
20170912_105353.jpg (367.75 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
tigerburnie
KG Regular

PP my indoor strawbs are pretty much finished now, I am striking runners to get more plants next year, so the flower/fruit spikes have been removed. I'm eating the red and white alpines from the free seeds I got earlier in the year, not many and quite tiny, but very nice taste whilst browsing round the garden, munching here and there.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Not much in the greenhouse now, still producing tomatoes though
Looking bare now.jpg
Looking bare now.jpg (520.42 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

Not many Leeks left as they are showing signs of going to seed, I think I sowed them a bit too early.
Leeks.jpg
Leeks.jpg (432.36 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

A nice crop of apples, wish I knew what they were, the label was clearly not correct when I bought it, they are supposed to be Golden Delicious for my wife.
Unknown variety.jpg
Unknown variety.jpg (426.65 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Those leeks look very healthy with good sturdy foliage. . Mine are showing signs of rust again this year which is frustrating. So far I,ve had just one go to seed but as expect others will now start to follow. I sowed them in March which is about the normal time I sow mine.
robo
KG Regular

My Leeks this year are nothing like ready to pull ,every year they seem weeks behind every one else's I'm not to bothered as you can only eat them once ,I normally grow Bulgarian giant they are a great leak nice tasting and grow big ,this year I'm having a change
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Mine are Autumn Mammoth2 Snowstar from Dobies, nice in the kitchen
Monika
KG Regular

It's strange. We have had rust on our leeks the last few years but (as I have mentioned in another thread) this year there is just a very small sign of rust on one or two of the leeks, most of them are completely rust free so far. As I mostly use leeks in stews or soups, I tend to harvest them the moment they are ready (which many of them are now), slice and freeze them. I grow mainly Musselburgh and a few Oarsman.
Westi
KG Regular

My leeks are confusing me, there is a patch of really tall ones in the middle of the bed & I have taken a few & replaced them with some extras I group plant just for spares, while the others are pretty much the size I'd expect for this time of the year. They are showing some signs of rust but not too bad. Fine netting only this year & not environmesh so hope that is enough to keep any leek month damage to a minimum as that can destroy them all the way through so unable to salvage anything to cook, unlike a bit of rust.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Your apples look nice and familiar but I can't remember the name, have you tried this http://www.applename.com/id.aspx ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic