A view of my garden

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Looks a positive jungle of positivity! And not a square inch of unused growing space. Amazing what you can grow in a small area where you try to squash everything in. My garden's like this when the growing season is in full swing. Are you pulling some of the lower leaves off your smaller varieties of tomatoes ?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Looks a positive jungle of positivity! And not a square inch of unused growing space. Amazing what you can grow in a small area where you try to squash everything in. My garden's like this when the growing season is in full swing. Are you pulling some of the lower leaves off your smaller varieties of tomatoes ?

I remove foliage off all of them except the hanging baskets, where I just remove the ones that go a bit yellow, seems to be working. I am thinking that next year I won't have the hanging baskets over the other plants as they stop the light getting in and ripening the fruit. I have that much growing in there I'm struggling to move, but luckily everything seems ok. No sweet peas inside next year and less sweetcorn( if you remember I bought plants and sowed seed and everything grew, which left me with more than I planned for lol).
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote: ?[ No sweet peas inside next year and less sweetcorn( if you remember I bought plants and sowed seed and everything grew, which left me with more than I planned for lol).

Why is it, I wonder that none of us ever seem to cast our surplus plants onto the compost heap if we can't find alternative homes to ale them off our hands ? We always feel morally duty bound to find a tiny corner for them to grow somewhere, even it' an unsuitable spot, rather than consign them to an early death. Over the years I can think of all sort of vegetable,plants which have temporary found themselves bedding down amongst azaleas or keeping geraniums company in patio pots because there simply wasn,t another spare inch of growing space to accommodate them anywhere else. I like to think it confuses the visiting bugs, if nothing else !
Westi
KG Regular

Ha Primrose!

Too true & it is also us that buy the sad reduced tray of something at the garden centre or elsewhere as just want to give it a chance! Must be in the growers in us! I've even watered plants from my bottle of water I have in my bag & even chastised a staff member at Lidl's for not watering their plants. They now have a portable sprayer & a new member of staff doing just that but think I may have been one of many complaining about that!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I don't think there is a plot on our allotment that is not growing surplus plants donated by another plot holder I know I've got Leeks and broccoli donated while I've given away marrows ,cabbage ,broccoli, and other varieties of Leeks than I received
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Everything is really doing well this year
I can almost taste them.jpg
I can almost taste them.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3223 times

growing out the roof.jpg
growing out the roof.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 3223 times
Mouse2
KG Regular

I confess to throwing two surplus seedlings in the green bin last week - and actually saying a quiet 'sorry' to them as I did it!!! What is it about seedlings? In all other respects, I consider myself a very down-to-earth (no pun intended), pragmatic gardener, and will ruthlessly uproot mature plants that aren't wanted or needed, and i take much the same approach to garden pests, but when it comes to seedlings, that I have raised from seed, I feel guilty. It's ridiculous! :?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm the same Mouse, probably because they're our babies, I notice most of the men aren't as sensitive about chucking plants out. I must admit that a lot of my spares are the afternoon snack for the hens so are nicely recycled in rich yellow yolks.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

These are the first to ripen
tumbling toms.jpg
tumbling toms.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 3188 times

I've put this window box on the ground, there's still a few strawberries, but I am keen to get the runners taking root.
Strawberry runner.jpg
Strawberry runner.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 3188 times

Outside I'm trying using loo roll cardboard centres to aid blanching these leeks
loo rolls.jpg
loo rolls.jpg (663.34 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Had to pick some leeks today as they are showing signs of bolting(the seed heads seemed to have grown over night!!)
Leeks1.jpg
Leeks1.jpg (398.01 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

Green house is looking good

Ailsa Craig and chillies.jpg
Ailsa Craig and chillies.jpg (411.48 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

Gardeners delight and Supersweet 100.jpg
Gardeners delight and Supersweet 100.jpg (495.04 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

There's chillies and peppers in pots and Tumbling Tom reds in the hanging baskets
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Just noticed there's Money Makers in the last picture above too.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Outside the greenhouse we are ok, lost my Pink Fir Apples to a bit of blight, but others are ok.
Carrots and Beets.jpg
Carrots and Beets.jpg (526.38 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

There's 3 different Beets and 2 different carrots under the mini tunnel.

The Sutton.jpg
The Sutton.jpg (483.28 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

Not a huge crop of broad beans but ok.
Still growing.jpg
Still growing.jpg (461.17 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

Pleased with these red onions from seed.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Liking the pics tiger

However one point about using loo rolls tubes with leeks. Be careful
Based upon experience over a few seasons if the leeks have grown to a point where they are the same diameter of the tubes remove the cardboard carefully if they get really wet and the weather doesn't dry them out for days.
Long term damp wrapping can cause the leeks stems to soften & rot

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Tiger that look fab! I'd be well excited - well I am excited about yours for a start.

I find loo rolls just perish away at first bit of rain & unwind off the leek. I'd like to try cut up pipe but think the slugs & snails would like that hiding spot as well & I'm already battling leek moth each year without any extra attention needed. But the leeks are enjoying this year and much larger than previous years at this time. None as big of yours though!
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

really fabulous looking tommies there tiger! what on earth are you feeding them?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic