Garlic - Pot Ok?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

See now is the time to grow garlic and there is an offer in the magazine.

Can I put these into a pot then transplant them in raised beds next year?

If pot is ok where do I put it outside or in shed?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi
Is there any reason why you want to use pots now, it can go straight out into the ground

Personally if I was going to use a pot I would use decent sized ones and not plant too many cloves in each. Leave some space.
Make sure the soil in pots drains well. Garlic will not like sitting in excessively moist soil.
They can stay outside overwinter, just give fleece protection if in pots and it gets excessively cold, I only suggest that because of how easy it is for items in pots to become frozen solid.

I would not bother trying to transplant next year.

Have you considered not planting any autumn garlic but wait until spring ? that way you can also plant straight out to where you want it.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Colin2016
KG Regular

Reason for planting now, is looking at instructions, they say plant now and the raised beds have not been made yet & probably wont be ready till end Nov.

Waiting till spring looks perfect for me.

Any suggestion on how to store the autumn garlic?

Thank you very much Pa Snip for your help.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi Colin,

I tried Autumn garlics in pots once (as I hadn't prepared the garlic bed in time - something I say quite regularly). Whilst there's no reason you can't, I found they got a bit pot bound and were very small compared to ones which I put straight in the garlic bed. It may have been due to where the pots we kept (they were in a cold frame, so maybe too warm)?

I still put a few in pots from left over cloves every year, but these are usually for filling gaps and companion planting and don't rely on them for my main crop.

The ones I ordered from suttons have turned up - I was expecting 2 bulbs in each pack - I think the person who packed mine likes me as each pack has at least 3 - one has 6! Not quite sure what I'm going to do with them all.... I'll probably share with my lotty neighbours.

Pawty
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Colin2016 wrote:Reason for planting now, is looking at instructions, they say plant now and the raised beds have not been made yet & probably wont be ready till end Nov.

Waiting till spring looks perfect for me.

Any suggestion on how to store the autumn garlic?

Thank you very much Pa Snip for your help.

I think I would plant up what you have on a nice day at the end of November when the beds are made rather than trying to keep it until spring.

I have planted as late as that myself.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Colin2016
KG Regular

Any tips on preparing the garlic bed, Pawty?
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi Colin,

I have to say I'm probably not the best person on here (still think of myself as a bit of a newby) ...... I tend to just dig the bed over (I use an area not used for onions, shallots, garlic or leaks the year before), remove all weeds, add some compost, put the cloves in so they are covered with soil (about 6 inches apart) then cross my fingers!

This normally turns out ok......

Some people add some wood burner ash which is supposed to be quite good.

Any tips much appreciated as mine go in at the weekend with the above method :shock:

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Our lottie shop hasn't even got them in yet so mine will go in late November probably!

It's pretty hardy, but mine didn't enjoy last years weather too much. I would try some in pots but just a clove in one small pot that you can transplant completely with the soil when your raised beds are ready. I'd keep them outside and exposed to the elements as well, but as the pots might dry out more would keep an eye out if by some chance it's a dry winter. :D

Westi
Westi
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Hello

If we plant garlic now, when do we harvest it? Just wondering if it will be early enough so that I can then plant salad...

This summer we tried planting garlic in a pot but the slugs had a feast and there was nothing left. Absolutely nothing. Like the bulbs escaped!!! Hoping the cold weather will keep the horrid things away if we plant them in one of the raised beds.

Thanks
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Pa Snip
KG Regular

OscarSidcup wrote:Hello

If we plant garlic now, when do we harvest it? Just wondering if it will be early enough so that I can then plant salad...

This summer we tried planting garlic in a pot but the slugs had a feast and there was nothing left. Absolutely nothing. Like the bulbs escaped!!! Hoping the cold weather will keep the horrid things away if we plant them in one of the raised beds.

Thanks

Depends on the variety and, to a degree :D , how mild winter is , but probably around June / July

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic