Heat vs light?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mr-cecil
KG Regular

So, this year I decided I'd try grow a water melon. At this point, they are about as big as an orange, and I'm wondering what to do to before they are a complete write off.

I'm wondering....what is more important, heat or light? I guess it's probably both...but it you have to choose...what do you think it should be?
dan3008
KG Regular

heat... They will keep growing for longer in the dark than in the cold from my experience.

However, prepare yourself for a small crop this year. I've not seen many people do well with water melon this year
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Westi
KG Regular

I've had some luck with watermelon but I picked it before it was ripe, well centre was but the red did not reach the rind by an inch or so. Greenhouse grown, lots of feed, sown in heat and then kept pretty warm as well. This year I grew a mini cantaloupe which I found was less greedy for both water & feed, although it got both & I picked it perfectly ripe as the smell tells you it's ready. Was delicious!

Westi
Westi
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Today I've covered it in fleece and I've moved a water butt right next to it (north side), which will hopefully take the edge of the evening temperatures. I'm assuming that at this point I should just remove any small fruit as they don't stand a chance. Should I also remove any flowers?
Westi
KG Regular

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'll loose the pollinators soon to fertilise the flowers, so I think I'd try to limp along the small fruit, but I think your chances are slim at this point in the year!

Good Luck though & keep us updated.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic