Grape roots outside of polytunnel?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mr-cecil
KG Regular

I have bought a grape vine put plant out in the polytunnel. My research suggest that I should consider planting it such that the roots are "outside".

Has anyone done this before?

I'm trying to work out how to do with without cutting a great big hole in the polytunnel, which I don't really want to do.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes I did that with one in the greenhouse. My son put a piece of pipe in the concrete base when he was building it so I could put the roots outside and have the plant inside. It worked very well but I had to block up the gap on the outside as mice found their way in. Could you go under the edge of your polytunnel?
peter
KG Regular

The vinery where I was born was arranged in that manner.
I'm not sure why, unless it eased the manuring and watering.
The indoor floor was earth with extensive duck boards, back wall had an Ophelia climbing rose trained above a large cistern, between cistern and duckboards an cast iron ornate grid panel path covered the coke boiler fed heating pipes in their concrete trench.
The eastern half was dived ed off and used for fan trained nectarines and peaches.
The divide is I think five sections in from the right.

Yes it was in an extensive walled kitchen garden, hmm - days gone by. :?

Forgot - Black Hamburg, four or five (can't remember which) trained up to the apex.
Attachments
ODF-272.jpg
ODF-272.jpg (102.67 KiB) Viewed 6855 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
mr-cecil
KG Regular

That is an impressive greenhouse!
robo
KG Regular

I planted a vine in my new pollytunnel last week and I was faced with the same problem I decided to plant the vine in the corner I think the roots will grow more outside than in
peter
KG Regular

mr-cecil wrote:That is an impressive greenhouse!

Demolished in the early 90s and replaced by a courtyard of houses.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

peter wrote:
Demolished in the early 90s and replaced by a courtyard of houses.

That is a shame, but such is the way of 'progress' and economic needs of owners of such places.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Awe Peter!

Your poor Mum having to have you in the vinery! At least it was warm I suppose! :D :D

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Glad you picked up on that as well Westi :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Awe Peter!

Your poor Mum having to have you in the vinery! At least it was warm I suppose! :D :D

Westi

I had to read the origional post 5 times before I got the joke... Next time, I'm going to wait till i'm awake to read posts lol
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Mr Cecil,
the best way to get a grape to grow into a polytunnel is this. Buy a roll of polytunnel repair tape and cover an area of about a foot square inside and out where you want the vine to come in to the tunnel. Cut a hole in this reinforced section just big enough to get the vine stem through. This hole can be enlarged with a knife as necessary.
I would recommend doing this on an end wall as this will be less stressful on the plastic overall and it will be easier to attach wires etc for training purposes.
Regards Sally Wright.
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Thanks Sally. I guess I need to decide if I really want to hack a hole in the tunnel.
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the famous Black Hamburg vine at Hampton Court is planted so that the vine itself is in the glasshouse and all the roots are outside in an empty well manured wide border. I suspect polytunnels pose a more difficult conundrum for this than glasshouses though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic