Fasten down a greenhouse

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

dan3008
KG Regular

Ok, I've given into temptation, and got myself a "Blow away" greenhouse from wilko's (its the medium sized walk in greenhouse if your interested), and am now looking for a way to anchor it to the ground.

I've checked with my landlord, and pouring concrete to attach it to the ground is off the table (so if I'd not checked, like next door, it would have been fine, but because I checked first, not so good) So i'm left with the option of using some heavy duty tent pegs or some screw in pegs like these

The greenhouse does come with 4 really flimsy pegs, and some guy ropes, But I wanted something a bit stronger, to keep it alive better
Any ideas? Thanks
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Got a few of these on our site, not just wilko's either and the same thing has happened to all of them. The frame may well stay where it is, the cover gets ripped or blown off completely in high winds.

I've seen some of the covers have been ripped to shreds in high winds, even when ropes have been thrown over to try and hold them down.
What I have found somewhat pointless is that people have actually gone out a bought new covers to replace the damaged ones and the same thing has happened again.

I wish you luck Dan, sorry to be negative but figure the more you know about them the more you might find an answer.
I reckon so many waste money on these

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

I've heard that can be a problem... I have a plan to negate it, but we shall see, I plan on adding a reinforced netting to the outside of the cover, to help hold it together, and use duct tape to hold it to the frame... Might not be pretty, but it should work..

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
peter
KG Regular

Angle iron post(s) hammered in at a corner and the framework tie wrapped or otherwise secured.

For a better fix a post hole borer and use some cement for the bottom 10" and backfill with soil.

Portable version, get one of those double handled flexible garden buckets, cement, sharp sand, gravel and some sturdy but bendable reinforcing rod. Bend a 2' to 3' length of rod into a hoop, then bend the ends out, but in the other plane round to make a circular hoop that fits easily in the bucket, with the top of the first hoop sticking up out of the bucket. Mix strong concrete and cast it round the rod in the bucket, ending up with a concrete block with an iron handle sticking out of the middle - top. Once set get it out of the bucket and use it as a tie down weight for the frame.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I'm liking Peters angle iron on the corners idea, just fearful of the care needed not to damage the cover when hammering the angle into the ground.

Don't think the covers are loose enough to go over the angle iron as well.

Peter has posted (yes, pun :) ) some good thoughts there though

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

Unfortunately peter, my land lord won't let me put concrete in the ground to hold it... Mardy sod. I like the bucket idea though, ill give that some thought. Sounds like it should work well

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic