What can I grow straight out of this?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

GardenGrower5
KG Regular

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum here guys, I am also new to growing in general so I thank you all in advance for your help.

I only have limited space, I would like to grow some garden fruit and vegetables, what can I grow straight out of this type of product?

http://www.cherry-lane.co.uk/products/g ... litre.html

I have seen lots of people using these to grow Tomatoes so I know they are perfect for those, but what else can I grow straight from the bag with these? Do vegetables that are planted and grow underground such as Carrots and Potatoes grow in these?

Thanks everyone, I look forward to hearing from you.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Personally, even if you have limited space, I would try and get something a bit deeper - big pot, raised bed or you can get some big wooden troughs ( or build them easily out of planks). And have lots of herbs in pots. If you go down the grow bag route, you'll be limited to things like tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, chilli plants and maybe some beans... as they're not very deep. They're also small so you can end up trying to squeeze too much in. Also watering can be tricky.

Get/ build a bigger deeper structure and youll be amazed at how much you can grow in a small space. I reckon in a 1 m2 area you can have some climbing beans, dwarf courgette, tomato plant, some beetroot, lettuce, spring onions and even get a bit of kale - plus more if you plan well!

Never grown potatoes in pots, but the ones grown in ground taste amazing. Get a deep pot/bag for these - definitely worth a go!

The key is to grow the stuff stuff you like.

Welcome to the world of growing - I'm a newby to and absolutely love it!

Paula
Geoff
KG Regular

I believe you can cut them in half and stand them on end for a pot effect but proper containers are a better option as said above.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi & Welcome to the forum!

If you give us a bit of an idea of your growing space would be helpful. Is it a patio, small courtyard etc? These are OK but they run out of nutrients & you have to top up, and they only last one season, and take some watering, all adding up to extra £££'s & time. Invest in some pots (or ask the local supermarket if they have any old florist buckets), then when season finished you wash them & store them for next year!

I bought some giant cloth pots, similar to a plastic coated canvas in appearance a few years ago, came in 3 sizes in a pack - one tall about 2 1/2ft, (grew 2 cucumber plants in that last year), one is 1/2 the depth but wider (2 tomatoes) & the other is shallower & even wider (loads of cut & come salad, some stumpy carrots & spring onions). They only cost about £4. I got them from either Pound shop or In excess!

Basically keep researching & give us some more info & then the experienced growers will point you in the right direction! It's very addictive this growing game - the rewards are very tasty!

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi
I'm not 100% sure but I think the enquiry relates to Growbags

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic