Repairing enviromesh

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

I am now sorting my various enviromesh covers ready for use later. Although washed before put away for the winter I now find a few holes caused by either badgers or foxes. As they fit quite tight over the frame not something I could sew together to repair. A patch maybe? very slippery stuff to sew and I am not a needlewoman. A square knee sticking plaster would be ideal size but just how long would it last in the rain. Has anybody else got an ingenious ideas how I can do this?

Thanks
Beryl.
peter
KG Regular

Duct tape?

Patch of the original material each side and soak the ripped bit in pva or similar before sandwiching them and ùsing newspaper as a sacrificial release layer before compressing the package with weighted boards.
The trick will be how to compress the three layers of mesh without them sticking to whatever you're compressing them with.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks Peter, but me being a mere female, what is pva?

Beryl.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Beryl,
another adhesive tape you might try is polytunnel repair tape. This has a UV and waterproof adhesive and may do the trick.
Or you could try UHU clear glue with silicone baking sheets to use as pressing material until the patch glue dries.
If you do decide to sew the patches on use nylon thread as cotton will not last outside or be strong enough.

All that said we need to know the results of your experiments as we feel that this information is of international importance! Well at least I think so.
Regards Sally Wright.
Beryl
KG Regular

Oh thanks for that info Sally and Peter. My DIY skills are not very good so don't hold your hopes up. We could do with something like the old inner tube bicycle tyre repair kits couldn't we. I have some odd pieces I can try with first before I make a mess of the covers. Will report back in due course.

Thanks
Beryl.
peter
KG Regular

PVA is the acronym of PolyVinylAcetate ( I think I got that right ) it is the white thick but runny glue you can dilute with water.

Semi-ubiquitous it's sold in tubes, glue bottles, tins, 2L square plastic flagons and drums.

Builders use it to seal and prepare surfaces they are about to cover with cement or mortar. I used it about eight years ago to stick the brick pillar between my drive and my neighbours drive back together after it was knocked over as one block. Still standing. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you Peter I shall know what to look for.

Beryl.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I would sew a patch of enviromesh over the hole using a strong or double polyester thread. It doesn't matter if you do big chunky stitches - it doesn't have to look pretty.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Maybe using a 'U' shaped upholsterers needle and light strain fishing line to sew patches in would work

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Beryl
KG Regular

Mmmm, I will have to think about sewing. I was rather hoping to avoid that. It is a large cover with several smallish holes, if you can imagine what a badger or fox can do with it's claws when up on it's hind legs.

Thanks for suggestion though I really will give it some thought.

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

Anytime I've had a few holes in my environmesh I just use that thin plastic coated wire on the rolls with the clippers on the card. It will fit through the fine holes in the environmesh and I just pull the edges together & pull it through like I'm sewing & twist the ends to secure.

Not that pretty I'll admit as it is green & it leaves puckered up bits but I want to keep the insects out and you do just ignore it after a while, & the greenery from the plants when they grow hides it a fair bit as well.

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

The cover in question is one of these, it fits quite firmly over the frame, not much room for drawing holes together. I do the same as you on netting Westie but I don't think it would work on a frame as large as this but thanks for the suggestion.

Beryl.
Attachments
image011.jpg
image011.jpg (44.71 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
Pa Snip
KG Regular

That's a mighty neat area you have there Beryl.
Must have cost a fortune in slabs alone.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Hi Beryl.

You won't have much luck with anything self adhesive and enviro mesh. I would sew a large patch over the hole then sew around the hole itself so it becomes one . The reason I say use a large patch is that it'll be easier to handle.

I already did repairs so have some experience, Imused ordinarily polyester thread and I used heavy duty polyester thread. Both worked fine.

If you insist on going the adhesive route you need to buy an adhesive called aqua sure that is used to repair sports clothing and wetsuits, it is expensive. Like £7 for a small tube but it will stick enviro mesh to enviro mesh.

You can buy it online but don't let them sell,you the black stuff, sometimes called black witch. The stuff you need is clear and may come with a different name to aqua sure.

I just found some online for £4 in a tiny tube, called StormSure, don't get the black stuff.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you Pa Snip. I do have 2 and half full size plots all paved, acquired gradually I might add over the years by my husband and myself when no one wanted them. Now it has been only me to maintain and work them for the last 8 years. The slabs cost us very little really the majority are second hand either given to us as unwanted or for a few pennies and again completed over several years.

And thank you Richard with an H. I really am useless at sewing, a roll of polly tunnel repair tape is about the same as the glue you recommend so I will do a Google search. Thank you very much.

You have all been very helpful, I will report back later,
Many thanks to you all.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic