Eggstreme Action

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Any suggestions why one hen should destroy her egg as soon as she lays it,
used to do it now and again now it is rare for her not to do it.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I have had a similar problem in the past I was told to make sure it is getting it's fair share of grit ,mine was but it did not stop ,you have to make sure it douse not eat other chickens eggs as they can get a taste for them ,there is only one sure way of stopping it ,I think you know what it is
alan refail
KG Regular

robo wrote:I have had a similar problem in the past I was told to make sure it is getting it's fair share of grit ,mine was but it did not stop ,you have to make sure it douse not eat other chickens eggs as they can get a taste for them ,there is only one sure way of stopping it ,I think you know what it is

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

There is grit in the coop 24/7, they can help their selves whenever
Fortunately it is rare it does it to the other hens eggs but it has happened now and again.

Pattern seems to be that it destroys the egg immediately after laying it.
we are just going through another period of it doing it.

Alan, it definitely would not be a good table bird

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
John
KG Regular

Hi Pa snip
Check the remains of the egg. Is she laying soft shelled eggs - these break very easily after they've been layed and then they get eaten. Some suggest old egg shells with mustard in them for curing this habit.
As others have said though the only answer may to dispatch her - it can be a difficult habit to break. Once one starts others also think its a good idea and your problems get worse.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
alan refail
KG Regular

Pa Snip

Old hens make great stock!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
robo
KG Regular

I found one of our old hens dead on Wednesday morning she had stopped laying around ten months ago she was given to us by a friend of our eldest daughter she was the one that laid a few massive eggs one was nearly four inches high it weighed 120 gram at the time it was 20 gram short of the world record
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic