Barn Owls

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Cider Boys
KG Regular

I helped my eldest son move his sheep this afternoon for them to be scanned next week, on the way I saw a kingfisher flying along a rhyne then two little egrets took off from the banks. After moving the sheep we took some hurdles to the stables where the sheep will be lambing and on arrival a kestrel flew off from one of the stables followed by two barn owls out of one of the other loose boxes. I watched one of them flying low over the marshes and along the rhynes and it again appeared flying back and forwards in front of the tractor as we made our way home in the dimsey light. Reminded me when I was young watching barn owls in the dusk and it now appears they are increasing in numbers again as my son tells me several neighbouring farmers have them in their barns; cheers me up really and makes my life worth living.

Barney
Pa Snip
KG Regular

So so lucky to be able to see that varying wildlife.

I should get out more in attempt to see some of this.

I have not seen owls of any type , in the UK, for many years.
Snag we have around here within easy travelling distance is that the old barns have been subjected to conversion

I envy you the sights you see, but not the workload you have at times as a working day.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We are lucky here too, and see much wildlife that others don't, but Barney does have one over me, as i haven't seen any Egrets.

But just over the Abbey wall, we do have Lion, Tiger and Wolves.... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Well oldherbaceous I don't think you will have too long to wait to see little egrets in beautiful Bedfordshire, they have become quite common place now in Somerset, we also have nesting great white egrets and cattle egrets on the peat moors. I have yet to see a cattle egret but great white egrets can often be sighted on the moors. Regarding lions, tigers and wolves we only have a few of the two legged versions in Somerset but next door in Wiltshire I hear that Lord Bath has plenty of the four legged varieties.

Barney
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic