We've been deluding ourselves

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Every evening recently since we spotted a small hedgehog in our garden we're been putting food out for it and in the morning have been delighted to see it had all disappeared, so assumed we'd been helping to fatten it up for Autumn hibernation.

Now I'm utterly disillusioned. i went out into the garden shortly after it got dark and was annoyed to see who had been eating the food. - a dozen big fat brown slugs who were feasting on the banquet. So whether the hedgehog has been subsequently eating the slugs I don't know

So every night now I will have to do the torch patrol. Or if there are so many slugs in the garden should I just leave them for the hedgehog instead? I don't know whether they actually eat these big Spanish type slimy creatures or whether I'm better just putting them in a bucket of water.

Is there any way I can put-out hedgehog food without the slugs getting to it?
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Primrose

I would have thought the hedgehog would find plenty to eat in your garden without the need to put out any extra food, I've always been reluctant to put out any food in the evening, you just don't know what or who gets to eat it!

Barney
Elaine
KG Regular

In my previous house, I had a hedgehog visiting nightly and read that cat food was ideal for them. So....I put some out and was thrilled to find it had gone the following day. I continued to put it out every night until after around a week, I heard a commotion in the garden.

Yep, you guessed it. The local moggies were scrapping over it. I never bothered after that! The hedgehog continued to visit the garden so he must have been feasting on the slugs.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic