Do all goldfinches migrate?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

We have been delighted this summer to have a couple of families of goldfinches come to our garden to feed on a daily basis for the first time. I have been trying to discover whether they migrate or not because I haven,t seen any for a couple of days. It appears that some may over-winter here and I'd like to know whether we should continue to put Niger seed feeder tubes out because these seem to be the only finches that feed on them. The greenfinches and chaffinches don't seem to touch them although they do use the other feeder tubes..
alan refail
KG Regular

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
glallotments
KG Regular

We have lots of goldfinches in the garden especially over winter and spring.

At the moment we have lots of juveniles that haven't yet got their red faces.

They absolutely love sunflower hearts.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

My previous neighbour fed goldfinches (and other birds, too, if they took a fancy) right through each winter. They were a delight to watch, a ray of sunshine through the dark days.
Allotment, but little achieved.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The goldfinches in my garden prefer the sunflower hearts over the niger seed as do most of the other garden birds.

You will find that if you leave some seeds on the lavender and evening primroses they will eat these during bad spells of weather in winter. The redpoll also like the evening primrose seeds so it is good to leave a few in.

If you have an agricultural feeds merchant you can buy a 25 kilo sack of sunflower hearts for about £30. They also sell 25 kilo sacks of wild bird seed for £13 for ordinary (with more wheat) and £17 for the superior. Also their peanuts are much cheaper.
Monika
KG Regular

We don't feed the birds at all from about April to November but as we are surrounded by lots of trees, shrubs, pasture, wildflower meadows and a few gardens, I think they get enough natural food there.

And, especially for the goldfinches, we always leave all the teasel and lavender seedheads on because the birds really love those. Sometimes, the teasels sway from side to side under the weight of the goldfinches trying to get out the seeds!
glallotments
KG Regular

We feed birds all year round as recommended by the BTO. We find that if there is more natural food at certain times then they come to the garden less frequently.

Maybe if you live in the middle of the country they will find more natural food .
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

glallotments wrote:
Maybe if you live in the middle of the country they will find more natural food .

I often wonder about this particularly in areas such as ours where a lot of hedgerows are replaced by banks of stone and earth.

We feed heavily year round and couldn't it on a pension. Probably £40 a month just on bird seed, fat balls and now we tried those fat noodles instead of nuts, they are supposed to include insects. How do they do that?

I must take your advice and explore our feed merchant.

I stopped buying nuts because only the woodpecker eats some and most go rotten in the feeder, we do have goldfinches feeding
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
robo
KG Regular

Try mixed corn from a chicken feed supplier I pay less than £7 for 20 kilos and the birds love it
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My Mum does the same thing Robo and her garden is always full of birds.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

there were a couple in my MIL's garden yesterday.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

We use two Droll Yankee niger seed feeders for the goldfinches, one is 23" the other is 36".

Goldies have been noticeable by their almost complete absence during last few weeks and seed had succumbed to the damp weather and gone pretty solid.
Beginning of this week I cleaned feeders and filled completely with fresh seed.

Can tell we are in for rough weather, goldies are back. Counted 17 on feeders at one time yesterday and just counted 12 on them.
Seed already gone done by 18".

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Mixed corn ?

I stopped buying seed with a lot of what I though was barley or maybe wheat, the birds seem to throw it out and it always sprouts.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Monika
KG Regular

As we only feed sunflower hearts and home-made fat blocks in hanging feeders, we try to avoid feeding any pigeons (or their long-tailed furry friends), but unfortunately as I was hanging the sunflower feeder up today, I dropped it, leaving a neat ground area covered with lots of food. I was out all day, but I bet the pigeons had a lovely time!

Siskin numbers have swelled to around 10 and goldfinches and bullfinches are there in great numbers, but not a single brambling as yet, very unusual for us at this time of the year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic