First frog of the year

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've just picked a bucket up near the back door and there's a skinny adult frog in it. I've let it go on the garden near the pond. Hope it finds something to eat. At least there's no frost today.
Monika
KG Regular

Hello PP, our first frog arrived in our small garden pond about three days ago and now there are at least a dozen (they tend to work up to more than 20). The cold weather next week will come as a rude shock to them, but at least they don't usually spawn until the water is warm enough
Geoff
KG Regular

I haven't seen any but I have scared a heron off the pond, all fish long gone so probably after frogs.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I know i have said it before but, the Heron's have decimated the frog population around here....such a shame.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Diane
KG Regular

I've heard some in our pond - but haven't seen any and there's no sign of frogspawn yet.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The sun has brought lots out in both ponds today stirring things up and ducking down fast when I went near. It usually takes them a week or so to lay spawn so I hope they miss the next cold spell.
Westi
KG Regular

The cat brought in a toad last night . Probably from the greenhouse where it's been enjoying the broken roof pane to provide some dampness. Cat didn't kill it so it's gone back in there hidden well. It will be disappointed when I replace that pane, but until then welcome to share the space.
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You're lucky to have toads Westi. We used to have them when I was small but I've not seen one here for many years. They used to hibernate in the cinders Dad used to have in the base of his cold frames and looked terribly scary when they were emerging in Spring.
Monika
KG Regular

First honey bee of the year today, feeding on erysimum and violas.
Primrose
KG Regular

Checked my mini pond today. No sign of frogs or frogspawn yet but i’ve already the local heron doing more regular rounds recently so probably time to put the expanding wicker cover back over its main area as it’s usually a very early morn8ng visitor before I’m up !

We had some honey bees in our garden on the heather at the weekend. I emailed a nearby neighbour who keeps bees, saying “Hope they were yours”. He replied that he’s already lost two of his five hives this winter due to the cold weather.
Diane
KG Regular

At last - frogspawn in the pond - hope it survives the arctic blast coming.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hope they've gone back somewhere safe everything is frozen again now poor things. At least they've not laid any spawn. I just hope they aren't encased in ice.
Primrose
KG Regular

My first frogspawn arrived two nights ago. There was a thick frost that night and my min pond was covered with a layer of ice when I checked it in the morning - the frogs had done their business as quickly as possible and departed before it iced over.
robo
KG Regular

No sign of frogs in the pond but the water has turned to a mucky brown colour which tells me something has stirred it up
Geoff
KG Regular

Pond churned and frogs calling today.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic