Sheen Flame Gun.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Williams
KG Regular

I have just purchased a used Sheen 360 Flame Gun which is allegedly in good working order but which does not seem to work very well. Sadly, I do not have an instruction booklet. Can anyone help please ?
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
I have some old info on a 20+yr old Sheen X300...

...Sorry, not familiar with 360.??

Clive.
Williams
KG Regular

oops.............Apologies.
My Sheen Flame Gun is a 300 NOT 360.
I have no idea of it's age but it was allegedly purchased second hand two years ago by the person who sold it to me. It also allegedly had a new jet fitted last year. We are able to ignite it but the flame barely singes weeds and is certainy not the claimed 2,000 degrees !!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Williams, don't know if this will help.

Load the tank about 2/3rds full with paraffin, soak the wick in paraffin and light this, leave it for about 3 minutes to heat the vapourising coil, then pump the pressure up a few times and open the fuel supply valve a little.
The paraffin is vapourised into a combustible steam that sprays out through the small jet hole, then combusts into a very controlled flame.

I copied this information off someone selling a flamegun, so i'm not sure how accurate it will be.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Williams wrote:oops.............Apologies.

Ah, that's good then...so my old instructions may well suit then I suspect...

I will be in touch via this forums private message system.

Clive.
Williams
KG Regular

[quote="Clive."][quote="Williams"]oops.............Apologies.
[/quote]

Ah, that's good then...so my old instructions may well suit then I suspect...

I will be in touch via this forums private message system.

Clive.[/quote]

From registering with this website to receiving complimentary instructions for my Sheen Flame Gun from "Clive" took only a few hours. I am most impressed and grateful. Sincere thanks to Clive and Kitchen Garden.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi OH,
I cannot remember the name of my paraffin flame gun 'cos all signs of writing have long disappeared.
I use a blowlamp to heat it up to the point where it goes into fits and starts before it roars. It works a treat and takes but a few minutes.
The way you are supposed to do it takes forever.
I dread to think what health and safety would have to say!
JB.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I used to use one of these. It was difficult to light and then, once it had got going, it was difficult to re-light once it was hot. Lighting the wick with a match was a pain, so I used a screw of newspaper stuffed into it in the end, which worked most of the time. The procedure is to wet the wick with a little burst of paraffin, light the paper and then let it burn with a yellow flame for a few minutes. This heats up the coil and the cowl. When the flame seems to be dying down, open the valve slightly, very gradually, until it starts to roar with a blue flame. The problem with re-lighting it once hot is due to the paraffin vapourising as soon as it hits the hot coil, but the newspaper can come to the rescue for this also.

When burning the weeds, you don't need to singe them until they are black, it is enough just to cook them. You cannot kill the root with a flame gun, though — dandelions and their kind soon reappear.
Kev
KG Regular

> Load the tank about 2/3rds full with paraffin, soak the wick in paraffin >and light this, leave it for about 3 minutes to heat the vapourising coil, >then pump the pressure up a few times and open the fuel supply valve a >little.
>The paraffin is vapourised into a combustible steam that sprays out >through the small jet hole, then combusts into a very controlled flame.

Alternatively for £20 and a bottle of gas buy yourself a new propane one that lights at the touch of a button!

Kev
Williams
KG Regular

Kev,
Do you have a reccommended "propane one" and source of supply ?
Thanks.

[quote="Kev"]> Load the tank about 2/3rds full with paraffin, soak the wick in paraffin >and light this, leave it for about 3 minutes to heat the vapourising coil, >then pump the pressure up a few times and open the fuel supply valve a >little.
>The paraffin is vapourised into a combustible steam that sprays out >through the small jet hole, then combusts into a very controlled flame.

Alternatively for £20 and a bottle of gas buy yourself a new propane one that lights at the touch of a button!

Kev[/quote]
peter
KG Regular

Wickes do one.

Alternatively just look in your builders merchant for a "Roofers Propane Torch". :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tel
KG Regular

Kev,
Get a life - get a Sheen.
Those toasting flame things are only good for gaps in paving.
A roofers propane torch is an alternative but it's the cost of -
Propane/Kerosene?
Tel
KG Regular

Will,
Also, empty the tank & clear 'debris'/poke the jet with a fine wire/renew the washers on the pump & filler screw cap(available from Sheen as spares), pump it up to blow the jet through & restart the ignition sequence.
Good luck!
Kev
KG Regular

Williams,

I have a parasene weed wand, I have had it ages and to be honest I haven't used it for zapping weeds lately but when you want to light a bonfire they are great! - turn the gas on, push the button.

I see that argos are selling them for £19.99 with a bottle of gas.
Kev
lez
KG Regular

I bought a second hand flame gun about two years ago. to be safe I took it to a local firm who tested and corrected the two small problems I had with it. cost £25 so with the fiver I gave for it got one for £30. I tried mower magic and they said old ones like mine don't have the spares made for them any more and was obsolete. the local company I used said all spares were available and they deal with the company on a weekly basis. mower magic said they were the only people who dealt with flameguns. I have use dmine alot and a kind gentleman gave a copy of the instructions via this web site. I have set fire to the grass trying to light it as the flame leaps 15 feet out it when I got it wrong. please be careful when using it and especially lighting it. I enjoy it and the instruction say that you only pass it over the weed to upset it's leaves. not me mate I stand there and incinerate them. :lol: strange sort of satisfaction in burning weeds, must be the pyromaniac in me. :D anyway good luck and be safe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic