Netting tips

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I have netting & frame for 4ft x 12ft raised beds any tips if attaching the bottom of the netting which will give me easy access to get at the plants?

Was thinking lengths of wood screwed to beds for ends that are permanent but need ideas for easy removal for access.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I just use bricks, but my raised bed sides are railway sleeper size, so plenty of room.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
peter
KG Regular

Battens wrapped into the bottom of the net and resting on the top of te raised bed.
Just lift the batten for access.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

I made frames out of 2 x 1 inch timber I stapled the netting onto the frame then lifted on and off as required only problem was it was a 2 person job to lift off mainly the two four feet high ones ,it was ok at first but as my wife got weaker with illness it was impossible to do ,my mate copied my idea but he made his in two halves one slightly bigger than the other and laps them by about six inches these seem to work ok
toni
KG Regular

Thanks for the tip, tigerburnie!
This is exactly what they say. I'm fortunate in a game of very few chances. And still I haven't found what I am really looking for. Maybe ausopen club history is the answer.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Colin,
what about some large headed nails in the raised bed edge such as felt nails to loop the net over. They should keep the net in place I think.
Regards Sally Wright.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

To keep the net secure we use Halfords Tent pegs or 6inch 'U' hooks which can often be found cheaper at shows

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

sally wright wrote:Dear Colin,
what about some large headed nails in the raised bed edge such as felt nails to loop the net over. They should keep the net in place I think.
Regards Sally Wright.

I used some galvanized roofing felt nails, trouble was the net can tear when it's windy.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"what about some large headed nails in the raised bed edge such as felt nails to loop the net over. They should keep the net in place I think.
Regards Sally Wright."

Thanks Sally I'll give it a try for next year.

Been using plastic milk bottle filled with water not 100% success though, also the frame came with little plastic clips which were ok but a bit of a pain to get netting off without snagging it.
robo
KG Regular

I did not find netting very successful as I said earlier I made frames out of timber i stapled the netting on with heavy duty staples this worked well I made different height frames that where interchangeable with each raised beds they varied from twelve inches to four feet depending what I was growing under them i still have the small one over the strawberries ,the problem i found was i only needed one leaf touching the netting and the butterflies would manage to lay through it next thing you have caterpillars on everything mainly as I did not check regularly as it was all netted
Westi
KG Regular

Hi robo!

You could do that with environmesh as well as netting to keep the butterflies off the brassica's beds. A bit more expensive investment to begin with but it lasts for ages - 10yrs + & comes in all sort of widths & lengths! The site beginning with 'A' has it by the metre. It would be fine stapled on to timber battens & moved around the beds each year which would see off that issue & give you clean cabbages & cauli's!
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Or scaffolding debris netting a lot cheaper
robo
KG Regular

Scaffold netting is what I used it did not work , my mate uses environmesh the other day he had three butterflies inside it ,you can't afford one little hole or the buggers will be in
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
I find the black pond netting to be one of the most hard wearing of the nettings you can buy; although it does not stretch so it has to be made into a cage and then the contents planted.
Regards Sally Wright.
Westi
KG Regular

Actually just got my delivery of 2.6m x 5m environmesh for £21.83 including delivery! (Literally just got through the window)! That is for the leeks as run out of a large enough piece so would have to sew 2 together & I'm not a good seamstress & leek moth slips in the gaps like cabbage whites! It's come down in price significantly from when I first purchased & still got the old stuff so value for money as that's at least 10 years!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic