Leaking water butt

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

Have you tried an electric soldering iron on the crack? I've repaired several plastic items - pots, watering cans etc - by melting the edges of the crack until they seal up.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

The weight in a water butt when full is close to half a ton, I'm not sure there's way to patch that, if it's cracked there's a chance there's another weak point in it somewhere. If it's on a seam, that could unzip and if it's failed because the plastic has gone brittle, it could go elsewhere.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've noted all your suggestions and will test them out when the weather picks up then I'll probably end up getting a new one.
rowbow
KG Regular

Have you tried plumbers plastic solder, the solvent for joining pipes, put it on the inside and outside :D
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I would not hold out much hope. It is probably polythene, HDPE. For our purposes, effectively not soluble in anything. The solvent weld cements used for plumbing rely on at least softening the surface of the parts to be bonded. I think you'll need to replace it.
robo
KG Regular

I don't think I would bother trying you spend money on all types of repair gadgets none work then you have to replace it might as well just replace it in the first instance
jeff64
KG Regular

sound advice robo!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My son told me to throw it away too but it seems a waste of all that plastic so I'll have a go after Christmas and let you know if anything works. I might have to wait until my partner is at home in case I get stuck trying to seal it on the inside. It might make an amusing video!!!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I can imagine it now, Plumpudding....a pair of legs running around, with a water butt on top..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I can hear it now, as we look at the video, PP's dulcet voice asking her viewers

"Does my butt look big in this"

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

2 butts together
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic