Leaking water butt

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Do any of you practical people know an easy way to make a strong seal on a split water butt. I've tried glue and gorilla tape but they don't last long if at all.
peter
KG Regular

Assuming you're talking plastic, i wouldn't bother, I'd get a rlacement.
The pressure of the water will push the split apart, so unless you resort to a patch rivited and glued onto both sides it will come apart as the butt flexes.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

But isn't it funny, if you don't want something to block, it magically does.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Empty butt to below the split.
Allow to dry thoroughly inside and outside of the butt.
Roughen surface around split with either medium ( M2) sandpaper or wet and dry paper.
Repair inside and out with Davids P38 or Isopon available from Halfords & other similar motoring shops.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

http://www.wilko.com/water-butts+access ... vt/0313387
Out of stock at the moment, but I have 2 and can recommend them.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks all for your suggestions. My son said throw them away and get new ones as I've had them ages and already tried to mend them. I'll give them one last chance and try the P38 or Isopon. It might prove challenging getting to do the inside though. I'll have a look at the Wilco ones too just in case.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Check out Gumtree or preloved for used ones hopefully without splits.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Plum,
if it is an easy split ie flat surface, no awkward corners etc. Then polytunnel repair tape may hold it for a few seasons. This stuff is sellotape on steroids and is waterproof and UV stable which gaffer tape is not. Most garden centres have it but if yours doesn't then it can be mail ordered from all sorts of places. Use the tape over the split in one piece to make it waterproof and then add cross pieces for strength. Do both sides if you can reach. You will need scissors or a sharp knife to cut it with.
I use it on plastic pots, watering cans, gutters and it is good for taping together compost sacks for emergency glass or roof repairs. The truth is I wouldn't be without a reel or two in the toolbox.
Regards Sally Wright.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks for the link Tiger.

I have a very old butt that never fills, can't find any crack & never have a flood around it so a bit of a mystery. It is not connected to guttering just lid off to catch the rain as half way down the plot. I suspect it is something at the bottom where it sits on the stand. Whatever it has to go as it is a useful spot being 1/2 way down so not lugging cans all the way down from the shed gutter fed one at the back. I've had it years & pretty sure it cost more than that Wilko one!

Dear Santa.... :)
Westi
lez
KG Regular

Hi Ya, If you do decide to replace your water butt go to your local council web site as they may have some offers on good quality ones. I have looked on our local site and they have good ones buy one get one half price.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Westi,
don't throw out that leaky water butt I have thought of a use for it. Put it in the middle of a circle of courgette plants next year and it will make an excellent slow release watering system.
Further to my earlier post; buckets can also be repaired with p/t tape and make sure that all surfaces to be taped are as clean and dry as possible.
Regards Sally Wright
peter
KG Regular

Upside down it becomes a rhubarb forcer. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

or, just to add yet another expert use

if the split does not seal cut the barrel in half around its middle circumference. Drill drain holes in bottom. Fill with MP Compost
You then have two leek tubs.

Oh hang on ....................... it was a leak that kicked the whole thing off.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I was going to ask if there was rust anywhere
Westi
KG Regular

Sally not going to bin it but use it for something else, just replace it for it's original purpose. Thinking sawing it in half and containing those pesky courgettes.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic