Qualcast 43S cylinder blade problem

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

burls
KG Regular

Hi, I've rebuilt my 2002 43s.

When I got it going, the roller and blade engagements were working just fine.

Bizarrely, having sharpened the cylinder and replaced the bottom blade, the cylinder insists on rotating even when not engaged with the hand controls.

What appears to be happening is the engine drive pulley is picking up the blade belt and so engaging the blades. It does not seem to be a matter of adjustment and the little wheel that engages the belt to the blade pulley is disengaged.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Might it be a case of just changing the belts. I'm at a loss. Any thoughts gratefully received, thanks!
mowerman
KG Regular

Have you changed the belt during the service?
Sallyday10
KG Regular

Hi,

if you follow the cable down from the handle to the point it enters the side plate, you should see the cable passing through the centre of an adjustable bolt. Adjusting this will slacken/tension the pick-up of the belt tension.

The bolt should look like this:-

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (6.13 KiB) Viewed 3058 times

Also, I believe that the design of the mower is such that with its centrifugal clutch mechanism, at idle, the blades should not rotate, but on a faster throttle speed, you may seem some rotation even if the lever is not activated to engage the cylinder (assuming that the cable is 'relatively' tight).

Let me know how you get on,

Mike.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic