strimmers

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

richard p
KG Regular

i use a well known make of split shaft petrol strimmers, theyre probably not a premium brand but i get them at the local auction for less than a tenner. probably got about 10 in various states of repair.... having got down to 3 running engines i decided it was time to mix and match bits to get a couple more going, new carberettors come from china via fleabay for less than a tenner so its not worth taking one apart, just bin it and fit a new one. having taken a couple of engines apart to swop ignition units i found they fit two different ones that arnt interchangable.
ive got two with seized engines ... the first stopped in use, piston is solid in the bore so is a parts machine , the second i robbed the ignition unit off then disscovered a m4 nut stuck on one of the flywheel magnets which was jamming the flywhell stopping it rotating, still havnt found where its come from , but replace the ignition unit and it could well be another runner.

i picked up a seized rotavator attachment on fleabay a few weeks ago for 99p , seller couldnt turn the tines by hand, i put a small spanner on the drive shaft and it turned easily from that end, stuck an engine on and its working well , except i had to take the hood plate off from over the rotor cos my stones kept wedging between the tines and the plate.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Love thrifty gardeners, I'm not actually Scottish by birth, but " grippit" does describe me apparently according to my wife and kids
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic