What Oil?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pa Snip
KG Regular

That's a nasty experience Peter, sounds perverse to say you were lucky. I have to say it's one of the reasons I'm glad my simple Al-Ko only has one forward gear and a deadman's clutch

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
beeman2
KG Regular

Thanks for your replies gents, crankcase it is then :oops:
Take only photo's,leave only footprints.
Richard
KG Regular

Wolseley recommended SAE40 oil for the chaincase and SAE30 for the engine. I have been using SAE 20/50 multigrade in both, for years. MacKissic, who now make Merry Tillers, recommend 00 grade grease in the chaincase, which is almost identical to the one on the early Major. This isn't grease though, but an oil with the consistency of cold treacle. So I guess, any oil will be OK, don't use ordinary grease though. I took an International to pieces, and someone had used grease instead of oil, the chains had flung the grease to the sides, and the rotor shaft, bearings and chains were dry and rusty.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic